Q. What are the best things one can do to get pregnant?

Dr. Gowrimeena
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 06, 2018

What are the best things one can do to get pregnant?

Dr. Gowrimeena

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

As with anything, having a planned pregnancy has a better outcome than an unplanned pregnancy. For both partners, adhering to a healthy lifestyle in terms of diet, fitness, stopping smoking and alcohol, and stress management are important.

For the woman, in particular, we check blood count, rubella immunity, thyroid levels, sugars if indicated, and advise folic acid supplements to prevent certain neurological defects. If you are at the age of above 35, or having irregular cycles, endometriosis, or have had pelvic infections, you may want to visit your gynecologist to avoid wasting precious time. If your partner smokes or consumes excess alcohol or diabetic or above age 40, it is better to get a semen analysis done. You can calculate the fertile period of your cycle and try to make use of this period.

All the best, hope this helps.

| 

I have acidity and constipation after quitting smoking. Are these withdrawal symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 year old male and had been smoking for the last 10 years. I smoke four to five cigarettes a day. I stopped it completely for the last 36 days. Now, I am suffering with severe acidity and constipation. I am taking Sompraz 40 in the morning for the last 10 days, but no great impr...  Read Full »

Can you interpret my semen analysis reports in layman terms?

Query: Hello doctor,Good day. My wife and I are trying to conceive and one of the tests done was a semen analysis test for me. I picked the results up from the lab, but I would not be able to see my doctor till a couple of days because of work. I am anxious and I would love an interpretation. I have attach...  Read Full »

How much Folic acid is required during pregnancy in Crohn's patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I have Crohn's disease and am pregnant. The first day of my last period was before 40 days and I have been taking multivitamins which includes 400 micrograms of Folic acid for the past four months. I am now pregnant. The doctor said that I need 5 mg of Folic acid due to the Crohns whi...  Read Full »