Q. My family members and I are having a cold and cough for three days. Kindly help me.

Dr. Navajith Mani
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I am a 24-year-old female of weight 65 kg. I have had a cough, cold, and also little pain in my throat for the last three days. And everyone in my family has a cold and cough. Kindly help.

#

Upper respiratory tract infections (URTI) can be defined as self-limited irritation and swelling of the upper airways with associated cough and no signs of pneumonia in a patient with no other condition that would account for their symptoms or with no history of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, emphysema, or chronic bronchitis. Upper respiratory tract infections involve the nose, sinuses, pharynx, larynx, and large airways.

A variety of viruses and bacteria can cause upper respiratory tract infections. Common cold continues to be a large burden on society, economically and socially. The most common virus is the rhinovirus.

URTI usually involves direct invasion of the upper airway mucosa by the organism. The organism is usually acquired by inhalation of infected droplets.

Symptoms of URTIs commonly include cough, sore throat, runny nose, nasal congestion, headache, low-grade fever, facial pressure, sneezing, malaise, myalgias, etc.

Since there is a COVID-19 pandemic, it is better to isolate each other and get tested for COVID-19 RT PCR (reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction).

Treatment includes symptom relief. Decongestants and combination antihistamine or decongestant medications can limit cough, congestion.

I suggest you take tablet Paracetamol 650 mg thrice daily.

I hope this was helpful.

|