Q. My mom has throat pain while swallowing and fever since yesterday. Is it dengue?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Dec 25, 2018

My mother has been having throat pain while swallowing and fever since last evening. She has been advised Clavam 625 twice for five days.

Her fever has not gone below 100 and after about four hours of taking Dolo 650, it goes up to 102.5.

So far, she has taken three doses of Clavam.

Is it normal to have such a high fever in throat infection? Could it be dengue?

#

Yes, it is certainly possible to have such a fever and it is likely she has an upper respiratory tract infection. I think whatever she is receiving is fine.

Antibiotics will take at least 48 hours to act and initially, the infection is viral. So, antibiotics may not work for the initial two to three days. I think she should continue the same treatment.

• She can have tablet Dolo 650 up to a maximum of four to five times if needed. Also, she should have Betadine gargles or salt water gargles three to four times a day.
  • Regarding your second doubt, the likelihood of dengue is less. But, only on the basis of symptoms, no one can completely rule it out as symptoms sometimes may overlap.
  • So, she can wait for 48 hours and if the fever does not subside, she can then have further investigations like dengue NS1, malaria test, hemogram with CBC, etc. or if you wish, she can get tested for dengue right away just to clear the doubt. The likelihood of it being a throat infection is more than dengue.

Hope this helps you. Get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

She is fine now. We had got her Influvac vaccination eight months back.

But, as the new strains have come out now, our doctor advised us to take the shot again now.

Is it alright to take it again after eight months?

#

That is good. And yes, the second shot can be taken. All the best.

|