Q. What does Staphylococcus aureus seen in throat swab of URTI patient indicate?

Dr. Afnan

I had symptoms of cold, cough and severe throat pain since five days and I was diagnosed with URTI and I underwent a throat swab for CS and report was identified as Staphylococcus aureus grown in culture. Is it anything to worry or normal? Please can I know.

#

Staphylococcus aureus is a normal flora bacteria, if sensitive. Can you please tell me exactly if it is sensitive or resistant? Now, if you are taking any medications, continue with those medications. Like Paracetamol, Brufen (Ibuprofen), warm saline gargles, steam. If still, you are having symptoms like body ache, headache and fever then we can start antibiotics. If you have performed another laboratory test. Kindly send me reports.

Viral flu.

CBC.

Acute pharyngitis?

URTI.

Supportive care for now. Have green tea, Joshanda, Panadol tablet orally thrice daily for five days, tablet Brufen 400 mg oral thrice daily for two days.

Wear a mask, steam inhalation.

|