Q. While breastfeeding, which medicine can I take for cold?

Answered by Dr. Lokesh and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Upper Respiratory Tract Infection or Breast Feeding? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: While breastfeeding, which medicine can I take for cold?

I am 31 years old. My height is 5'9", and weight is 68 kg. Currently, I am not taking any medication. I am breastfeeding my nine months old on demand during the night and three to four times during the day. My classic symptoms of cold started at the weekend. I had a mild sore throat, blocked and runny nose, headache, cough and tiredness. This morning, I woke up with chest pain on the left-hand side and it lasted for about 15 minutes. It was muscular type cramp-like pain. It has not reoccurred. Although nasal congestion has eased, still feeling weak and have a chesty cough. I am due on a 4-hour flight tomorrow night with my nine months old son. Is it safe for me to make this journey while feeling like this? Is there anything I can take considering I am breastfeeding? The purpose of the trip is to visit my father-in-law, who has stage 4 lung cancer. He has been receiving radiotherapy, which ended last week and is now at home for a week before he starts chemotherapy. We are due to stay in the same house, but I am afraid of passing on any germs. Will I still be contagious? He is very much looking forward to see his grandson for the first time.