Q. While breastfeeding, which medicine can I take for cold?

Dr. Lokesh
Published on Feb 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 31 years old. My height is 5'9", and weight is 68 kg. Currently, I am not taking any medication. I am breastfeeding my nine months old on demand during the night and three to four times during the day. My classic symptoms of cold started at the weekend. I had a mild sore throat, blocked and runny nose, headache, cough and tiredness. This morning, I woke up with chest pain on the left-hand side and it lasted for about 15 minutes. It was muscular type cramp-like pain. It has not reoccurred. Although nasal congestion has eased, still feeling weak and have a chesty cough. I am due on a 4-hour flight tomorrow night with my nine months old son. Is it safe for me to make this journey while feeling like this? Is there anything I can take considering I am breastfeeding? The purpose of the trip is to visit my father-in-law, who has stage 4 lung cancer. He has been receiving radiotherapy, which ended last week and is now at home for a week before he starts chemotherapy. We are due to stay in the same house, but I am afraid of passing on any germs. Will I still be contagious? He is very much looking forward to see his grandson for the first time.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• The only safe drug that you can take while breastfeeding is tablet Paracetamol 500 mg thrice daily for three days after food.
  • You can do hot water vaporization for nasal congestion. You should avoid taking any other medications till you are breastfeeding.
  • Yes, you can take flight. But, if you get chest pain again, then I advise you to get an ECG done.
  • You seem to have a viral infection, which can be contagious. But, you can use a handkerchief every time. You should also have plenty of water in a day. All the above should be sufficient.

Upper respiratory tract infection.

Revert after five days to a general practitioner online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

I have serious sleep paralysis with shortness of breath. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having serious sleep paralysis. In it I feel like I can move my muscle a bit like slightly moving my finger or speaking short words like "maa". But I think I am hallucinating that too. Plus I am having acute bronchitis in this case and have to breathe through the mouth. So I have...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sunil Sekhri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As far as your bronchitis is concerned, I advise my patients to avoid smoking and take steam inhalation twice a day. I also advise syrup Phensedyl BR (Ambroxol and Guaifenesin) 2.5 ml twice a day for five days and tablet Allegra M one tablet at night for five days. If ...  Read Full

While breastfeeding, can I get my damaged tooth out?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 4-month-baby boy. I am doing breastfeeding. My tooth is entirely damaged. So I am planning to remove my tooth. Is it correct or not? I am taking medicine for it. Please tell me a suggestion.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is better to remove a damaged tooth. You can take some antibiotics and painkiller medicines. Take Amoxicillin 500 mg for three days after extraction. It does not affect your kid. Ask your dentist about particular medications while breastfeeding. For more information...  Read Full

Why does my 7-year-old have breathing difficulty, cough and throat pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My 7 year old daughter has difficulty in breathing. Sometimes, she also makes noise while breathing. She has frequent cough and pain in the throat. The doctor advised a few medications. There was a little relief after two days. After exemption of medicine, the breathing difficulty, cough...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The following precautions are very important for your child: Avoid cool drinks. Avoid sour fruits like lemon, orange, etc. Give steam inhalation with a drop or two of Benzoine tincture. Avoid outside food, fried food, and colored food. Gargle with warm salt water twice ...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now