Q. What are the ways to reduce uric acid level?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

I am suffering from gout. My uric acid level is 6.9. I am suffering from back rim pain, leg pain. How can I reduce my uric acid and what kind of food diet I should follow and which food will reduce my uric acid?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatology
#

Well, to be honest, uric acid of 6.9 is not very high and moreover in females it very rarely causes arthritis unless it is post-menopause. Secondly, the pain due to uric acid are different and very unbearable. It usually causes swelling of one joint, associated redness and warmth and the pain is such noone ever forgets. So we need to look into other causes of your pain.

As for the uric acid of 6.9, best you can do is diet control and adequate water intake. Amongst the diet, avoid red meat sea food, soft drinks and liquor. Increase the dairy products intake, more of water, brocolli, ginger. At this stage, I do not feel you need medicines for uric acid as we normally do not treat it till 9. And we need to investigate you for the reason for back pain and leg pain.

| 

Can BP tablets cause high uric acid level?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 35 years old. Height 166 cm, weight 76 kg. My uric acid level has come to 8.9. I did this checkup one year before and it was 8.4. At that time I had stopped eating all pulses for at least one month. I am pure vegetarian. I do not have any symptom of gout or any other stuff. I do hav...  Read Full »

Is medicine the only solution for gout?

Query: Hello doctor, I have gout, and my uric acid remains in the range of 8.5 to 9. Is medicine the only solution? I have not started any, but the doctor suggested Febutaz 40 mg. If I start my medicine and continue with my daily workout, is it fine to add a protein shake in my diet?  Read Full »

Ask a Rheumatologist Now