Q. What are the ways to reduce uric acid level?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Published on Oct 11, 2019

I am suffering from gout. My uric acid level is 6.9. I am suffering from back rim pain, leg pain. How can I reduce my uric acid and what kind of food diet I should follow and which food will reduce my uric acid?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatology
#

Well, to be honest, uric acid of 6.9 is not very high and moreover in females it very rarely causes arthritis unless it is post-menopause. Secondly, the pain due to uric acid are different and very unbearable. It usually causes swelling of one joint, associated redness and warmth and the pain is such noone ever forgets. So we need to look into other causes of your pain.

As for the uric acid of 6.9, best you can do is diet control and adequate water intake. Amongst the diet, avoid red meat sea food, soft drinks and liquor. Increase the dairy products intake, more of water, brocolli, ginger. At this stage, I do not feel you need medicines for uric acid as we normally do not treat it till 9. And we need to investigate you for the reason for back pain and leg pain.

Can BP tablets cause high uric acid level?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 35 years old. Height 166 cm, weight 76 kg. My uric acid level has come to 8.9. I did this checkup one year before and it was 8.4. At that time I had stopped eating all pulses for at least one month. I am pure vegetarian. I do not have any symptom of gout or any other stuff. I do hav...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to have high uric acid levels but asymptomatic hyperuricemia does not need treatment. You may have a family history of hyperuricemia which explains why you have it despite being a vegan. Also, being obese or losing too much weight can increase blood uric acid l...  Read Full

Is medicine the only solution for gout?

Query: Hello doctor, I have gout, and my uric acid remains in the range of 8.5 to 9. Is medicine the only solution? I have not started any, but the doctor suggested Febutaz 40 mg. If I start my medicine and continue with my daily workout, is it fine to add a protein shake in my diet?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can start dietary restrictions initially, and if not responding, then you will have to use medicine. The risk of developing gout is increased with dietary meat and fish intake. Consumption of dairy products, particularly low-fat dairy products, is associat...  Read Full

Ask a Rheumatologist Now