Q. My mother is under BP medication and antidepressants. Will they cause urine retention?

Dr. Vaibhav

For the past five days, my mother is having a urine retention problem. Last year she took medicine for an overactive bladder problem for almost six months and stopped it. Last year she had the same issue. She took Bladmir 50 and Soliten 5 mg for overactive bladder. She also took Doxy-1 L-Dr Forte tablet for bacterial infection in the urinary tract. Now again, she is facing a similar issue, like she has the urge to urinate but cannot pass the urine fully and empty the bladder. After passing, the urine also is not satisfied. She already started taking Bladmir 50 and Cranpac-D tablets, but the symptoms have not reduced. Today took a blood and urine test, and the results were normal. Currently taking medicines for blood pressure, Prolomet XL 25 and Cilacar 10 mg and antidepressants Mirtaz 22.5, Flunil 40, and Lonazep MD 0.5 thrice a day. Kindly give your opinion.

#

The symptoms and treatment which you have mentioned are not matching. Overactive bladder person has increased frequency to pass urine, and for them, Bladmir (Mirabegron) will be useful. If your mother has problems emptying the bladder fully, that is under activity of the bladder. The first step for diagnosis and treatment will be abdominal ultrasound with a post-void residual urine volume. The scan report will help to decide if Bladmir needs to be continued. All anti-depressant medicine causes bladder activity abnormalities. A second most common cause of such a problem in postmenopausal females is meatal stenosis, in which the urine meatus gets smaller in size. Thus bladder not able to empty fully. This requires a physical examination by a urologist for diagnosis. So I would suggest getting an ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis with post-void residual of urine volume, which will be helpful for diagnosis and proper treatment. I hope this was helpful.

|