Q. I am a 22-year-old male, and I have a frequent intense urge to urinate. Please help

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

I am a 22-year-old male, and my height is 6’2 feet, and I weigh 225 lbs. Currently, I am taking tablet Oxybutynin 5 mg once a day. I have been dealing with issues of frequent urination for the past seven months. The doctor told me to try behavioral changes (more bowel movements, no caffeine, more water). Still, it did not help at all, as well as taken blood and urine samples and ultrasounds on my kidneys and bladder found no apparent cause. The issue is a frequent intense urge to urinate, even after going to the bathroom. The tablet Oxybutynin helps me empty my bladder, but it does not help the constant urge to go away, and unfortunately, my doctor has not taken any other actions to try to find and treat the root cause. Some days it is better, and some days it is worse and has been noticeably exacerbated by things like my job when I am in court on jury duty. I cannot tell overall if things like stress or anxiety worsen it, but I definitely cannot rule it out. Any advice or possible ideas of what the underlying causes or treatment could be is greatly appreciated. Also, I experience no pain or tenderness, and the ultrasound showed no issues in the bladder or kidneys. Doctor found no problems with blood and urine, no nitrates or blood to indicate a UTI, and tablet Flomax and tablet Oxybutynin has not solved the problem. I do not have the insurance or money to keep seeing the urologist, so I hope to find some help here. Thank you.

#

From your history and reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), the most probable cause is overactive bladder, which causes urgency and frequency. Diagnosis can be made based on the urodynamic study. If you could do it, that will be very helpful in your case. We can treat overactive bladder with tablet Oxybutynin in increased dosage, which can also be up to 10 mg twice daily. So my suggestion is to increase tablet Oxybutynin to 5 mg twice daily and, if no effect, go up to 10 mg twice daily. If that is also not helpful, then I suggest stopping tablet Oxybutynin and Botox intravesical injection. The Botox intravesical injection (Botulinum type-A toxin) is beneficial but will be required to be repeated every 9 to 12 months.

I hope you will get the best recovery from my advice.

If you have any more queries, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards.

|