Q. I have urinary retention even after five weeks of giving birth. Why?

Dr. Praveen Pushkar

I had urinary retention during pregnancy, so I had a catheter for a week, and I had problems throughout. I gave birth five weeks ago, but whenever I go to the toilet, I still feel like I need to go again. And sometimes, I do not get the normal sensation to urinate, and I have to press on my bladder to know if it is full. I have had hundreds of urine tests and have never had an infection. I had a bladder scan after urinating, which showed I was still retaining 100 ml urine. What could be wrong with me? Please help.

#

Sorry to hear about your urinary problems.

• By the history, it seems you have hypocontractile detrusor, as you do not get the sensation to urinate. And even after urination, there is a significant amount of residual urine.
  • You must have undergone uroflowmetry and urodynamics bladder pressure study. I would like to see those reports too.
  • Sometimes, this can be present after birth. Other causes include diabetes, neuropathy, spine related issues, hypothyroidism, etc.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|