Q. I am experiencing stinging in my vagina, and I have pain while urinating. Is this due to tampons?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2020

I started using tampons throughout the day instead of a pad, which I usually do not do. A few times when taking the tampon out, it was mostly dry with little blood, but now as I urinate, I am experiencing this stinging in my vagina that is so painful I have to pause when I urinate. I am currently taking Adderall as well as Fluoxetine.

#

Thanks a lot for consulting us. Nowadays, tampons are more in use but using it has some precautions like needing to push it deep inside. And you need to wait longer if your menses are not heavy before removal to prevent friction on the vagina. When you pass urine, stings are related to tampon or persists even after the removal of the tampon. If it continues after removal, it means you might have got an uncomplicated UTI (urinary tract infection), and you need to do urine analysis and culture. It pains or stings only when the tampon is in; then, you need to adjust it like pushing it deeper inside or even restart to use pad again as tampon does not suit you. In case you did urine analysis and culture, please share the reports for further treatment. Fluoxetine will help if you have an overactive bladder and frequent urination, not with urethritis or UTI. If you have any more queries, please let me know.

Kind regards.

|