Q. I feel pain and burning sensation after intercourse. Is this UTI?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2018

I am 26 years old. I got married recently. After having intercourse with my husband, I feel too much pain in my vagina and also burning sensation while urinating. I also feel frequent urination. Is this urinary tract infection? Please suggest some medicine.

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You are right. You have symptoms of urinary tract infection (UTI). Please get a urine culture and sensitivity done. We can start the appropriate antibiotic then. Meanwhile, have plenty of water of about 10-15 glasses a day to flush out the toxins.

Revert back with the urine culture report to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Thanks for your reply. Since I am in remote location, I cannot get urine culture and sensitivity test for another week. Could you please suggest antibiotics?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I can suggest you antibiotic. If you take antibiotic now, it will spoil your urine culture reports and they would become insignificant. However, if you still need a suggestion please give me details of all the symptoms you are experiencing like any burning or itching or any discharge along with this. Let me know exactly what your problem is, so that I can guide you correctly. Hope to hear from you soon.

Revert back with detailed history to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Yes, I have symptoms like burning, itching and also white discharge. I had taken tablet for 15 days to postpone my periods during my marriage. May I also know the reason for UTI please? Can it be due to condoms?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You are having cystitis. It is very common in newly married couple. It is known as honeymoon cystitis. First of all, take plenty of water. I have suggested the medicines. Consult your specialist, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with consent. Please let me know how you respond after a week.

Urine culture and sensitivity.

1. Tablet Oflox-OZ (Ofloxacin and Ornidazole combination), twice a day after food for seven days.
2. Tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg one tablet, in empty stomach in the morning.
3. Tablet Flavoxate one tablet, thrice daily after food for three days.
4. Tablet Allegra 10 mg (Fexofenadine) one tablet at night for three days.
5. Apply Candid V gel (Clotrimazole) a little bit on and near vagina twice a day for five to six days.
6. Tablet Ginlac V (combination of Tinidazole and Clotrimazole) one tablet to be inserted vaginally at night before sleep for four nights.

Plenty of fluids.

Follow up after a week to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I did not get Flavoxate and Ginlac V in my native. Please suggest an alternative for this. Should I place the Ginlac V tablet in my vagina full night? Does it melt?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Try to get Urispas for Flavoxate and get Infa V tablet (combination of Metronidazole, Clotrimazole and Lactic acid bacillus) instead of Ginlac. Infa V has to be placed in the vagina whole night. Some will be absorbed and rest will melt and come out by morning.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|