Q. My child has trouble in peeing. I can see blood in his diaper. Please help.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 02, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

My son is 4 years old. He has been having trouble in peeing for the past two days. I do not know if his penis burns or itches when he pees. When I ask him if it hurts, he says no. It looks like he wants to pee but keeps holding it, since it is painful. There is some red pus or something in his diaper. What could be the reason? Please help.

#

The clinical features which you have mentioned indicate that your baby might have UTI (urinary tract infection) or urinary stone (less likely). A child with UTI will have a burning sensation during micturition (urination).

UTI might cause hematuria (blood in urine). This is the cause for the red color in your child's diaper. UTI may or may not be associated with fever.

Follow these steps:

1. Get a urine routine examination done for pus cells, RBC's, WBC's and crystals.
  2. Get a urine culture sensitivity test done.
  3. Get an ultrasound kidney/ureter/bladder done.
  4. Monitor your child's body temperature.
  5. Give him plenty of fluid.
  6. Monitor his urine output.
  7. Give him tablet Paracetamol 300 mg twice a day, it will reduce the pain.

For prescription of antibiotics revert back with the reports to a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

|