Q. My urine smells like rotten eggs. Is this due to diabetes?

Dr. Sandip Pramanik
Published on Oct 31, 2019

I have noticed some smell in my urine. I do not know how to explain, but it smells like a rotten egg. I thought that it is due to pre-diabetes. Can it be due to diabetes also? I hope it is not a serious problem. I am taking Metformin and Zyloric tablets regularly, and now I am taking Vitamin D3 60000 IU.

#

You have foul-smelling urine. You did not tell whether you have poor flow of urine or burning sensation while voiding. However, most probably, you have a UTI (urinary tract infection). Diabetes is not the cause, but it can predispose it. You should consult your local urologist and get treated. You have to undergo USG KUB (ultrasonography of the kidneys, ureters, and bladder), urine culture test, uroflowmetry, and serum creatinine assessment for further management.

I am scared of kidney damage. Is my symptom a sign of kidney damage or just a urinary tract infection?

My last KFT test was in last month, at that time the test result was normal.

#

That is why I advised you to do a serum creatinine test. It will tell about the kidney function. USG (ultrasonography) will also tell about the thickness of kidney parenchyma. So you please visit a urologist and get treated. You may also have an obstructed stream. It needs evaluation and treatment.

What is obstructed stream means? Do you mean that urine not passing in on time. I also feel that sometime when I drink less water.

My creatinine test report was normal last month.

#

Obstructed stream means bladder outlet obstruction. UTI (urinary tract infection) must have some cause. We have to find out the cause. Sometimes bladder outlet obstruction may be the cause, or sometimes poor hygiene may be the cause. That is why I suggested those investigations. I am sure that the cause can easily be found by those tests. You can also consult your local urologist for further assessment and treatment.

I want to urinate every five minutes. Why is this happening?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 25 years old female. My height is 1.65 m. I want to pee like every five minutes and when I do wipe it is light red, sometimes red grey but not a lot and my last period was almost one and half months back. Why is this happening?  Read Full »

Kindly suggest further line of treatment for my father's urine infection.

Query: Hi doctor, My father has a urine infection since last 15 days. His creatinine is 4.8. The ultrasound report showed enlarged prostate and intact kidney size. He lost appetite since last one month. He is only taking a half glass of milk daily only. His fasting sugar was 113. He is a diabetes patient a...  Read Full »

How can I manage itchy penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I was suffering from itchy penis and sore throat. Recently, I have used Tamiflu, Advil and Tylenol for fever. It has reduced the sore throat, but itchiness is still there. Could you please advise?  Read Full »