Q. Ultrasound shows uterine fibroid with 3 hemorrhagic cysts. Is this a side effect of Depo shot?

Dr. Sree Gouri Sr

Last month, I was given a Depo shot to stop intermenstrual bleeding that started before six months after Provera tablets did not work. Unable to do a pap smear because of the bleeding. Transvaginal Ultrasound revealed tiny (1x1.3cm) uterine fibroid, three hemorrhagic cysts, and a heterogeneous endometrial cavity. Earlier, I passed clots that look like blood mixed with chicken meat. I am terrified. Is this a side effect or do I need to go to the ER? Please help.

Dr. Sree Gouri Sr

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern.

According to your description, the possibilities are hormonal imbalance leading to thickened endometrium and menstrual irregularities. If there is any possibility of pregnancy, please go for a urine pregnancy test once to rule out missed abortion.

If the bleeding with passage of possible endometrial tissue persists better to go for dilatation and curettage once. With this, the possible cause your problem can be identified and sometimes curettage by removing abnormal endometriotic tissue may cure the problem and may regularize next menstrual cycles.

Antifibrinolytic drugs like Tranxemic acid can help in controlling abnormal bleeding.

| 

For uterine fibroid, how quickly should I get surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 46 and a mother of three children. I have been diagnosed with multiple fibroids a few in the anterior wall intramural and a few on the posterior wall and a bulky 134 x 74 x 87 mm uterus. The endometrium is displaced posteriorly. The symptom is mainly heavy menstrual bleeding that las...  Read Full »

Do ovarian cysts cause pain during pregnancy?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am 30 years old. I am currently 8 weeks and 5 days pregnant. I went for an ultrasound at 5 weeks and there was a gestational sac and a yolk sac. However, I also had a 2 cm luteal cyst on my right ovary and what looked like a hemorrhagic cyst of 3 cm on my left ovary. I asked about it...  Read Full »

How to confirm H.pylori infection?

Query: Hi doctor, Two months ago, I had diarrhea and vomiting. My gastroenterologist diagnosed it as GERD and found H.pylori unit 112 tested through blood. My LFT, CBC, RBC were fine with occasional white cells in my urine and uric acid was 6. I took Klaricid 500, Ospamox 1 g, Levopraid, Omeprazole and Lib...  Read Full »