Q. Ultrasound shows uterine fibroid with 3 hemorrhagic cysts. Is this a side effect of Depo shot?

Dr. Sree Gouri Sr

Last month, I was given a Depo shot to stop intermenstrual bleeding that started before six months after Provera tablets did not work. Unable to do a pap smear because of the bleeding. Transvaginal Ultrasound revealed tiny (1x1.3cm) uterine fibroid, three hemorrhagic cysts, and a heterogeneous endometrial cavity. Earlier, I passed clots that look like blood mixed with chicken meat. I am terrified. Is this a side effect or do I need to go to the ER? Please help.

#

Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern.

According to your description, the possibilities are hormonal imbalance leading to thickened endometrium and menstrual irregularities. If there is any possibility of pregnancy, please go for a urine pregnancy test once to rule out missed abortion.

If the bleeding with passage of possible endometrial tissue persists better to go for dilatation and curettage once. With this, the possible cause your problem can be identified and sometimes curettage by removing abnormal endometriotic tissue may cure the problem and may regularize next menstrual cycles.

Antifibrinolytic drugs like Tranxemic acid can help in controlling abnormal bleeding.

|