Q. I was advised surgery for ovarian cyst. What are the side effects?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 20, 2020

I am 23 years old. I have ovarian cyst for the last two years. I have taken medicine (Norgest) but no improvement. I have to do all the tests (blood test, CA125, MRI, ultrasound, thyroid, urine, etc. According to my last report (three months ago), my ovarian cyst size is 42.10*34.82*37.29 mm. Three to four follicles seen in right ovary. The endometrium is approximately 15.34*13.60 mm. The spleen size is 107.09 mm. All my reports are normal. But, according to my MRI reports (one year ago), the cyst size 3.3*3.0 cm. My period is normal. My doctor suggests surgery. Please suggest what I have to do. What are the side effects of surgery? Suggest some medicine for abdomen pain and the cyst to resolve. I attached all my reports.

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

From your history, you have a right hemorrhagic ovarian cyst, and paraovarian right sided cyst more than 5 cm which increased to this size in one year and surgery advised.

This paraovarian cyst (hydatid of Morgagni) epithelium-lined fluid-filled cyst in adnexa adjacent to the fallopian tube. These cysts rarely cause symptoms, and you are having a symptom of pain for which you need treatment. These cysts could become cancerous rarely, can rupture with the fluid spreading in the lower abdomen and can spread inflammation which can involve other organs.

A hemorrhagic cyst is bleeding functional ovarian cyst. It can cause pain during sex, pain in lower abdomen, bloating, lower abdominal discomfort. If left untreated, it can rupture and cause abscess formation with sometimes severe sepsis.

Torsion cyst is another acute emergency. To prevent this, better to remove it before torsion.

Cyst without symptoms resolves itself, but a cyst causing symptoms need intervention before severe consequences and emergencies like torsion, sepsis, etc. (mostly in case of rupture and abscess formation).

You have splenomegaly as well. It means, the body systems are also getting affected by the cyst and the body wants to drain it out. I hope you got my point, that is why it is advised to remove the cyst by surgery. Sometimes, it ruptures during surgery, but at that time, the internal organ can easily be cleaned and washed with saline or sterile solutions. It will help to get relief from abdominal pressure symptoms and pain and risk of rupture and abscess and infection. A cyst is normally sent to the lab after removal for histopathology and ruling out cancer.

There are few chances of complications in every surgery like internal bleed, postoperative pain or infection, but here those complications are minute as compared to advantages of removal of the cyst.

Hope you understand my point.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|