Q. Do ovarian cysts cause pain during pregnancy?

Dr. Garima Sawhney
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 26, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello Doctor, I am 30 years old. I am currently 8 weeks and 5 days pregnant. I went for an ultrasound at 5 weeks and there was a gestational sac and a yolk sac. However, I also had a 2 cm luteal cyst on my right ovary and what looked like a hemorrhagic cyst of 3 cm on my left ovary. I asked about it and the doctor said it did not look suspicious and she did not suggest any follow up.

I have been having pain in my left side ever since ovulation, but how come the luteal cyst is on the right side? Could I have gotten a hemorrhagic cyst on the side that did not ovulate?

Is the fact that I have 2 cysts at the same time a concern or should I not worry? I have a family history of breast cancer and so I am worried about ovarian cancer as well.

The pain comes and goes, I have not had it for 3 weeks. But 3 days ago it started bothering me again. The pain is very mild and not interfering with anything but it makes me worry about the cyst.

My next ultrasound is at 12 weeks. Is that a long time to wait to check on the cyst again? Or is it unlikely to represent a problem?

Also I have read that hemorrhagic cysts usually disappear in pregnancy when ovaries stop working. But can they grow during the first 12 weeks when they are functional and shrink after the placenta takes over? If the ultrasound at 12 weeks shows it has grown, is that indicative of cancer or still most likely benign?

#

Both the cysts one of 2 cm and other of 3 cm, and one luteal cyst and one hemorrhagic cyst respectively are insignificant and has no concern with cancer at this size.

On and off pain during pregnancy do happen but this cannot be ignored if it is very severe.

You had your USG done at 5 weeks and now you are 8 weeks 5 days, but pain is still present on and off. You have not mentioned about the cardiac activity of fetus in your last scan.

So, it is better to repeat your scan to know about the cardiac activity as well as the size of both the cysts.

Regarding the ovarian cyst we have to see whether the size is increasing, decreasing, or it is the same.

If it's increasing then it is of concern (if more than 5 cm).

If it remains the same or decreases, then nothing has to be done, as it will regress on its own.

So, repeat your scan now instead of repeating it at 12 weeks.

As you have told me about the family history of breast cancer, I advice you that in future you will have to be vigilant regarding the same.

Revert back with the scan reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.----> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|