Q. Please guide me with the treatment for urinary tract infection.

Dr. Abhishek Dixit
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 15, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

I was diagnosed with urinary tract infection (E.coli) three months back. I took Ciprofloxacin for 10 days, but there is no sign of improvement. Now I have a dull pain in the back region, waist, and sometimes at flank. There is complete body weakness, mild fever, tingling sensation at hand and feet. Are these all symptoms of a kidney infection? Please guide me.

#

It looks like an upper urinary tract infection. Get your urine test done in a place where they check whether it is E.Coli (Escherichia Coli) or ESBL (Extended-spectrum beta-lactamases). Also, do an ultrasonography for the bladder to check post void residue.

Start tablet Levoflox (Levofloxacin) 500 mg after giving urine for culture. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him/her and take the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

I am going to the hospital tomorrow for my health check-up. Which doctor should I consult? Is it general medicine, nephrology or urologist? Should I directly request the doctor to do the test for ESBL?

Please, I need your valuable suggestion in this hour. Besides urine culture, sensitivity test and ultrasound of the bladder, what other test is required? Please recommend.

#

ESBL is the more resistant type of E.coli. You can get it done in all prodigious hospital laborataries. It is a part of the urine culture and sensitivity examination. Rest other tests are fine. While doing bladder test, do a PVR (postvoid residual urine test) and prostrate ultrasonography.

|