Q. Please guide me with the treatment for urinary tract infection.

Dr. Abhishek Dixit
Published on Mar 15, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2018

I was diagnosed with urinary tract infection (E.coli) three months back. I took Ciprofloxacin for 10 days, but there is no sign of improvement. Now I have a dull pain in the back region, waist, and sometimes at flank. There is complete body weakness, mild fever, tingling sensation at hand and feet. Are these all symptoms of a kidney infection? Please guide me.

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

General Medicine Internal Medicine Nephrology
#

It looks like an upper urinary tract infection. Get your urine test done in a place where they check whether it is E.Coli (Escherichia Coli) or ESBL (Extended-spectrum beta-lactamases). Also, do an ultrasonography for the bladder to check post void residue.

Start tablet Levoflox (Levofloxacin) 500 mg after giving urine for culture. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him/her and take the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

I am going to the hospital tomorrow for my health check-up. Which doctor should I consult? Is it general medicine, nephrology or urologist? Should I directly request the doctor to do the test for ESBL?

Please, I need your valuable suggestion in this hour. Besides urine culture, sensitivity test and ultrasound of the bladder, what other test is required? Please recommend.

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

#

ESBL is the more resistant type of E.coli. You can get it done in all prodigious hospital laborataries. It is a part of the urine culture and sensitivity examination. Rest other tests are fine. While doing bladder test, do a PVR (postvoid residual urine test) and prostrate ultrasonography.

Will medicines help in treating prostate swelling?

Query: Hello doctor, My father-in-law has prostate swelling. The doctor wants immediate surgery, but I want to wait and see. His PSA was 7.87 ng/mL, the blood and urine tests were normal. In the ultrasound, the weight of the prostate was 41.1 grams. Is surgery drastic in this case? Can he use medicines and...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What are his symptoms? Does he have a poor flow of urine? Does he have to strain? Was uroflowmetry test done to check for urine flow? Just for prostate enlargement, surgery is not required. Treatment is based on the above reports. Thanks. Revert with more information...  Read Full

Antibiotics for urinary tract infection treatment

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from urinary tract infection. I get these once in every couple of years. I need to get an antibiotic to get rid of it. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Raman Tanwar
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Recurrent urinary tract infections are common in post and perimenopausal women. You need to get a urine culture and routine investigation, so that culture guided antibiotics can be given. In these cases plenty of fluids and urine alkalizer syrups are also very helpful...  Read Full

Can taking Levofloxacin for prostatitis cause permanent muscular and CNS effects?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29-year-old male. I have been complaining of symptoms of prostatitis for seven years with LUTS, fatigue, and pain as the main symptoms. The EPS shows more than 10 WBC per HPF and urine and prostatic cultures are negative. Semen culture was done twice in the last six months with th...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from chronic prostatitis. It is very difficult to treat. Ideally, prostatic massage and EPS or semen culture must be done. But, if you have an improvement with Levofloxacin, then you can take it. The side effects are if you take it for a very long d...  Read Full

Ask a Nephrologist Now