Q. My period is one week late with positive HPT. I am bleeding now. Am I losing it?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 06, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

My period was late for a week. LMP was 35 days back. Did HPT three days back with the result being a positive pink line. But, yesterday evening, started bleeding period like and continuing so. So, am I pregnant or do I lose it? I will be grateful if you can kindly address my concern.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If the previous home pregnancy test was faint positive then this leaves in a dilemma if you were into pregnancy or not. So you now need to get a serum beta hCG test done, which is a blood test. If the hCG levels are more than 5 mIU then you are surely pregnant and the bleeding occurring hence would be termed as threatened miscarriage.

The next step would be to undergo a transvaginal ultrasound to check for location of pregnancy and any sub chorionic haemorrhage exists. If it does, then the best treatment shall be absolute bed rest with Progesterone support to allow support for placentation. If the hCG levels are less than 5 mIU then you are surely not pregnant and the previous test was a false positive and that the bleed is onset of your menses.

| 

I am having very little vaginal bleeding. Is it periods?

Query: Hello doctor, Actually, I was about to get my periods near 5th of this month but I got it six days back. The problem is that bleeding is very very little by little, I mean just a few drops without any pain or any blood clots. I am not sure it is my period or vaginal bleeding. As I am sexually activ...  Read Full »

Is it normal for hCG result to be more than 0 in a non-pregnant woman?

Query: Hello doctor, My partner's LMP was on 19th. It is eight days past her periods' due date. We had protected sex on 22nd nd 29th. She now has cramps in her lower abdomen and also a pain in her thighs. But she is not getting her periods. We did HPT for the last four days and all of them came negative. T...  Read Full »

Why do I have continous vaginal bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing on behalf of my wife. She is facing continuous bleeding from vagina since seven days after post pregnancy bleeding. Here is the complete scenario. We blessed with a baby 38 days ago and it was a C-section delivery. 16 days back the bleeding had stopped completely. Everyth...  Read Full »