Q. My period is one week late with positive HPT. I am bleeding now. Am I losing it?

My period was late for a week. LMP was 35 days back. Did HPT three days back with the result being a positive pink line. But, yesterday evening, started bleeding period like and continuing so. So, am I pregnant or do I lose it? I will be grateful if you can kindly address my concern.

Do you have a question on Vaginal Bleeding or Beta Hcg?

Ask a Doctor Now

MBBS., MS (OBS/GYNAE)., FMAS., DMAS., FELLOWSHIP IS ASSISTED REPRODUCTIVE TECHNIQUES
Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology

If the previous home pregnancy test was faint positive then this leaves in a dilemma if you were into pregnancy or not. So you now need to get a serum beta hCG test done, which is a blood test. If the hCG levels are more than 5 mIU then you are surely pregnant and the bleeding occurring hence would be termed as threatened miscarriage.

The next step would be to undergo a transvaginal ultrasound to check for location of pregnancy and any sub chorionic haemorrhage exists. If it does, then the best treatment shall be absolute bed rest with Progesterone support to allow support for placentation. If the hCG levels are less than 5 mIU then you are surely not pregnant and the previous test was a false positive and that the bleed is onset of your menses.

I am having very little vaginal bleeding. Is it periods?
Query: Hello doctor, Actually, I was about to get my periods near 5th of this month but I got it six days back. The problem is that bleeding is very very little by little, I mean just a few drops without any pain or any blood clots. I am not sure it is my period or vaginal bleeding. As I am sexually activ...  Read Full >>
Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am pretty sure this will be the beginning of periods. These little bit variations in days and amount of bleeding are common. Ultimately, in a day or two, you will have your normal bleeding periods. Another possibility is lost pregnancy. Sometimes, conception occurs an...  Read Full

Is it normal for hCG result to be more than 0 in a non-pregnant woman?
Query: Hello doctor, My partner's LMP was on 19th. It is eight days past her periods' due date. We had protected sex on 22nd nd 29th. She now has cramps in her lower abdomen and also a pain in her thighs. But she is not getting her periods. We did HPT for the last four days and all of them came negative. T...  Read Full >>
Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your wife is not pregnant. This is for sure. HPT (home pregnancy test) are all negative and the blood test beta hCG is also negative which confirms the absence of pregnancy in both, the uterus as well as in the tube. In non-pregnant females, hCG levels less than 5 ...  Read Full

What causes continuous vaginal bleeding?
Query: Hello doctor, I am writing on behalf of my wife. She is facing continuous bleeding from vagina since seven days after post pregnancy bleeding. Here is the complete scenario. We blessed with a baby 38 days ago and it was a C-section delivery. 16 days back the bleeding had stopped completely. Everyth...  Read Full >>
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your wife is having bleeding per vagina following one month of Cesarean section. This is termed postpartum hemorrhage and often creates an emergency. This could be caused by an infection of C-section wound commonly. But, as per your report (attachment removed to pro...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now