Q. My period is one week late with positive HPT. I am bleeding now. Am I losing it?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 06, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

My period was late for a week. LMP was 35 days back. Did HPT three days back with the result being a positive pink line. But, yesterday evening, started bleeding period like and continuing so. So, am I pregnant or do I lose it? I will be grateful if you can kindly address my concern.

#

If the previous home pregnancy test was faint positive then this leaves in a dilemma if you were into pregnancy or not. So you now need to get a serum beta hCG test done, which is a blood test. If the hCG levels are more than 5 mIU then you are surely pregnant and the bleeding occurring hence would be termed as threatened miscarriage.

The next step would be to undergo a transvaginal ultrasound to check for location of pregnancy and any sub chorionic haemorrhage exists. If it does, then the best treatment shall be absolute bed rest with Progesterone support to allow support for placentation. If the hCG levels are less than 5 mIU then you are surely not pregnant and the previous test was a false positive and that the bleed is onset of your menses.

|