Q. I see a white or yellow odorless discharge. Is this normal before a period?

Dr. Settipalli Saravan Pramod

My period is due sometime this week, and I am seeing a white/ yellow discharge odorless. Is this normal? For sure, I am not pregnant because the last time I had sex was over three months ago, and I got my period every month after that. What can this be? Should I be worried, or is this normal before a period?

#

The symptoms are suggestive of PID (pelvic inflammatory disease), which is quite common in sexually active women.

It is advisable to have a USG (ultrasound) abdomen scan to rule out any other possibilities.

Did you have any history of fever or any itching-like sensation?

Please reply for further ssessment.

I was sick last week and had to take antibiotics. Could that be the problem? I do not know what could have caused this. I had a vaginal infection three months ago, and I took antibiotics for that, too, and everything was fine later. Is it normal to have discharge before a period?

#

Taking antibiotics does not cause any kind of discharge. As you already mentioned having a vaginal infection may be improper or incomplete treatment may cause a recurrence of the infection.

Could you mention what antibiotics you had taken before and for how long you consumed them?

I suggest a tablet of Doxycycline 100 mg once daily for 14 days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

Any kind of discharge before or after menstruation is considered abnormal. I advise you to do a urinalysis and a USG abdomen scan.

|