Q. I have pelvic pain with mild foul smelling watery discharge. Will this affect my fertility?

Before two years, I got married. I have pelvic pain for around seven months. I also had back pain. But I neglected it, thinking that it might be some digestion issue. Now, I am getting a mild foul smelling watery discharge for the past one month. Will this affect my fertility? Last month, my periods were also delayed. I had a urinary infection before seven years.

#

You are suffering from pelvic inflammatory disease secondary to recurrent vaginal infections. Presently, foul-smelling watery discharge indicates a bacterial vaginosis infection which is a deterrent for the fertility indeed and needs to be treated first. Ideally, both partners should be tested and treated.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

How can I be sure that it has not affected the fertility? But, we have not tried for a conception yet.

#

The presence of infection in the vaginal environment prevents the ejaculated sperms to survive in an acidic environment after intercourse which is created by bacterial vaginosis or candidiasis. So, the chances of pregnancy decrease substantially. Secondly, in cases of a chronic pelvic inflammatory disease, the fallopian tubes are often affected and get inflamed causing tubal blocks which are deterrent in conception and a known cause of infertility.

To check fertility and ovum production, you should have regular menses, with regular mid-cycle ovulation which can be tested with LH- kits (luteinizing hormone) and an HSG (hysterosalpingography) which can establish the tubal patency. But, infection in the pelvis or vagina needs to be cured before pregnancy to get positive results. It increases the chances of natural conception.

|