Q. Would vagina close due to psychological reason?

Dr. Saraswat Kumarshri Shriniwas
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 30, 2019

I noticed that for the past three months, I have had vaginal infection. But, all the tests were negative including vaginal swab and urine, which was done last month. I would like to know whether the vagina closes due to psychological reason. For example, when one do not want to have sex with someone. Please explain.

#

It is called as vaginismus. It is muscle spasm causing contraction of vagina. It happens due to various psychological issues. It could be due to guilt of sexual activity and some unconscious unresolved issues. It could also be due to dislike of partner. It needs counseling and medicines.

|