Q. Is varicocele linked to infertility?

and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Oct 04, 2019

I have varicocele. It does not hurt or anything, and I never actively tried to impregnate a woman. So I do not have any idea if I am producing proper sperm but are varicoceles linked to infertility? I took a home sperm test, and I saw a faint line come back positive.

Hematology Pathology
# Hello,

Welcome to the icliniq

The varicocele is one of the cause of infertility.

It can decrease sperm count.

So rather than doing home test I suggest you get checked your semen analysis in nearby pathology or andrology laboratory.

You can revert back with reports once done.

Hope I have answered your question.

Take care
my results:
113 million sperm count
44% motility
9% morphology

Hematology Pathology
# Hello,

Welcome back to the icliniq. Com

Your sperm motility can be considered low.

Here in the mentioned history you have not mentioned percentage of active motile sperm.

The concentration of active motile sperm is important for doing conception. So kindly mention actively motile sperm percentage.

The sperm count and Morphology is within normal range.

If your active motile sperms less like that of less than 40% than get treated your varicocele by urologist means urosurgeon.

Hope I have answered your question.

I w'll be happy to help you further if required.

Best regards.
But I told you that my motile sperm is 44%
That’s over 40%
Isn’t that enough for conception?

Is there anything else I can do to increase motility naturally without surgery?

Hematology Pathology
# Hi,

Welcome back to the icliniq

The motile sperm is divided into actively motile sperms and sluggish motile sperm as well.

If among your 44% motile sperm majority are in sluggish motile sperm than it might creat problem in conception.

So mention percentage of active motile sperm or attach the semen analysis report to comment further.

The varicocele cannot be treated by medicine.

You can take more fruits and green leafy vegetables.

Hey Forte like L arginine and zinc containing tablet can be used for increasing sperm motility.

Hope I have answered your question

Let me know if I can assist you further

Best regards
--file attached--

Hematology Pathology
# Hi,

I have checked your attached semen analysis report.

The sperm motility is within range in attached report.

The majority sperms are in forward progression motility.

So you are having normal percentage of active motile sperms.

The sperm count and Morphology also within limit.

Hence you may need not to worry about conception according to your attached report.

Hope I have answered your question

I w'll be glad to help you further if needed.

Best regards.
what does it mean when it says my viscosity is abnormal?
also, I am glad my motility is within normal range but it is only 4% over the minimum normal range, is there a big chance it will get worse? What is the average motility for men? and is there a way I an increases motility by excersizing or taking vitamins?

Hematology Pathology
# Hello,

Welcome to the icliniq

The viscosity can be abnormal because of seminal vesicle or prostate problem. But you don't have such history.
If you want to do further work up for that than ultrasonography pelvis and transrectal USG can be done with special emphasis on prostate and seminal vesicle.

Your sperm motility is within range. It is only mild high but it will not creat any problem in conception according to my opinion.

It cannot be predicted whether it will worsen in future or not.

The average motility of normal person is above 40%.

If active motile sperm is more like that in your case than there is usually no problem in conception.

Maintain sperm motility with good nutrition diet like green leafy vegetables and fruits.

You can take becosule or riconia forte like tablet for one month to increase sperm motility.

If in future motility goes further down than Hey Forte like L arginine and zinc containing tablet can be taken.

Hope I have answered your question.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Best regards

I have varicocele. Is there a way to control it by yoga?

Query: Hello doctor, I have the right varicocele, which is 4 mm in size due to which I have very mild pain in the right testis. Do you think this can be treated by yoga in any way or if yoga can help in controlling this?  Read Full »

Should I undergo varicocelectomy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old male. I have no BP, diabetes or thyroid problems. Last month, I was diagnosed with grade 1 varicocele. I consulted my home town doctor for treatments, and he prescribed few medicines. However, he did not say anything to my queries. Is my testicles size normal? I am...  Read Full »

Causes of Male Infertility

Article Overview: This article tells the various reasons for male infertility. Read Article

In about 35 to 52 percent of childless couples, the male partner is the cause for infertility. This percentage is increasing in number nowadays because of the changes in the lifestyle of most of the males. Many men consume alcohol occasionally, increased smoking rate among young people, physical in...  Read Article

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now