Q. Patient has painful papules on both sides of hands. Please provide diagnosis.

The patient is a 12 year old female. One month ago, she presented with drenching sweating and cold feeling with cold hands. Two weeks later, the skin of hands became erythematous and blanched on pressure. Then, they gave her measles vaccine in the school. Two days later, she developed painful papules on both sides of fingers and palms. All these symptoms are associated with malaise and generalized muscle pain. Blood pressure is 130/90 and pulse is 130 per minute. Endocrine investigation, echo, CXR, abdominal us, abdominal CT, autoimmune Ab all negative. IFAT for brucellosis negative. No sign of arthritis, only arthralgia. Now she takes Prednisolone 5 mg and Chloroquine tablet and Lyrica capsule. The rash is improving, but malaise and myalgia with arthralgia are still present.

I would greatly appreciate it if you can provide me with your diagnosis regarding this case as our local physicians have confused us with multiple diagnoses. Any information about the disease is greatly appreciated. Is it life-threatening? Kindly advise on what you find necessary. Thank you.

Attached is the patient's medical test results as well as some photos of her hands.

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

I went through your post (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The significant problems mentioned in the post are:

• Palmar erythema.
  • Leucocytosis with TLC 1400.
  • Thrombocytosis.
  • Low complement C3.

All these could be manifestations of vasculitis. However, I have not seen her LDH (lactate dehydrogenase) and CPK (creatine phosphokinase) level documented.

The possibility of chronic infection is there. So, hepatitis serology needs to be done which can also cause similar symptoms. I will treat this patient has hypocomplementemia vasculitis after doing nail foldcapillaroscopy and skin biopsy.

I suggest giving her Prednisolone dose of 0.25 mg/kg per day for two weeks and simultaneously do the investigations as mentioned. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

| 

Thank you so much. I will forward your instructions to our local doctors, and come back to you if we have further questions.

#

If possible, do EBV (Epstein-Barr virus) serology also.

| 

Thank you, I will.

Tanning of Skin

Article Overview: Though ultraviolet radiation induced erythema is seen in all skin types, it is more marked in fair skin and barely perceptible in dark skinned individuals. This article throws light on different skin phototypes and tanning. Read Article

Cosmetologist

Tanning or skin pigmentation that occurs after sun exposure depends on the individual skin phototypes. The tanning response depends on the wavelength of light inducing it. Immediate tanning is mainly due to ultraviolet A (UVA), whereas delayed tanning is due to ultraviolet B (UVB). Skin phototypes,...  Read Article

What causes sharp headaches and abrupt vision shifts?

Query: Hi doctor, For a week or two, while walking around, I have had the feeling that I was lightheaded or unsteady on my feet. It was not like the room shifting. Today, I have had a sharp headache above one eye. While sitting at my desk, my field of vision shifted abruptly. What does that sound like? I...  Read Full »

There is a black line in eye obstructing my vision. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,My left eye developed a black wavy line that moves around every time I try to focus, at times obstructing my vision. After consulting a doctor and after an eye dilution test, she confirmed that bleeding had occurred in my eye around two weeks ago and the black line I could see was the b...  Read Full »

Ask a Rheumatologist Now