Q. How to get rid of inner ear fluid?

Answered by
Dr. Mehak Agarwal
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 08, 2020

Hi doctor,

I was told by my primary care physician that I have some fluid in my inner ear. I have also had dizziness, nausea and feeling like the room is spinning. I also think that I have vertigo, but I am not sure. The episodes happen at night and sometimes during the day. My current medication includes Lisinopril, Gabapentin and Mecklezine. Is there something that I could do to get rid of this feel?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Do your symptoms increase on changing position? Do you have fullness in the ear, ringing sensation in ear or reduced hearing?

There can be two possible diagnoses in your case, but I need to know if you have any of the above symptoms.

Either it can be benign paroxysmal positional vertigo or Meniere's disease.

I would advise you to take complete bed rest for about three days (minimum) and restrict salt.

I suggest any one of the following tablets for a week. Betahistine, Cinnarizine or Prochlorperazine maleate. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Thank you doctor,

I believe that I have positional vertigo. It happens when I move in certain positions and I sometimes experience ringing in my ear. Most of the time, it is always plugged and it will not pop clear and I can hear. There is some pressure and a little bit of pain. Also, I am not throwing up, but I do feel nauseous when the episodes happen. The episodes are small and do not last long. It happens sometimes during the day, but mostly at night. Also, I need to get rid of this soon as I am going on a cruise next weekend. How long will it take for these medications to kick in and start working?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

With the details you provided I suggest you consult an otolaryngologist at the earliest as the inner ear (vestibular system) is concerned with hearing as well as maintenance of balance.

Ear fullness, fluctuating hearing loss, tinnitus and episodic vertigo are characteristics of Meniere's disease, which is otherwise known as endolymphaticus hydrops.

  • We must investigate the same further using a high resolution CT scan of temporal bone and also audiometry. Some other investigations that would help us are roll-over tests.
  • Considering you are going for a tour it is advisable that you get an exact diagnosis, so that we can be assured of no untoward incident during your leisure trip.
  • I would still suggest you avoid salt and take one of the tablets I suggested above. I also suggest Acetazolamide as it decreases fluid production inside the inner ear.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I get dizziness when I look up or get up. What is causing this?

.. carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms do not seem to be related to intracranial hypertension or any of the other disorders. An inner ear disorder, vertigo, or epilepsy may lead to such clinical situation. For this r...   Read full

I have loss of balance after my ears were pulled. Please suggest medicines.

.. pulling of the ear is uncommon. Are you sure you have giddiness from childhood after your teacher pulled your ears? You may probably be suffering from BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). We need to get a Dix-Hallpike test done to confirm...   Read full

What is MSA? Why am I examined for it?

.. thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns .. ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

What Is Epilepsy Or Seizure Disorder?
We all are familiar with the term epilepsy, and always associate it with fits or seizures. But, there is more to it. So,...  Read more»
Can viral fever lead to Parkinson's disease?
Hello doctor,I had a viral fever six years back. I had a very high temperature of 105, bad cough, also hallucinations. I...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.