Q. How to get rid of inner ear fluid?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 08, 2020

I was told by my primary care physician that I have some fluid in my inner ear. I have also had dizziness, nausea and feeling like the room is spinning. I also think that I have vertigo, but I am not sure. The episodes happen at night and sometimes during the day. My current medication includes Lisinopril, Gabapentin and Mecklezine. Is there something that I could do to get rid of this feel?

#

Do your symptoms increase on changing position? Do you have fullness in the ear, ringing sensation in ear or reduced hearing?

There can be two possible diagnoses in your case, but I need to know if you have any of the above symptoms.

Either it can be benign paroxysmal positional vertigo or Meniere's disease.

I would advise you to take complete bed rest for about three days (minimum) and restrict salt.

I suggest any one of the following tablets for a week. Betahistine, Cinnarizine or Prochlorperazine maleate. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

I believe that I have positional vertigo. It happens when I move in certain positions and I sometimes experience ringing in my ear. Most of the time, it is always plugged and it will not pop clear and I can hear. There is some pressure and a little bit of pain. Also, I am not throwing up, but I do feel nauseous when the episodes happen. The episodes are small and do not last long. It happens sometimes during the day, but mostly at night. Also, I need to get rid of this soon as I am going on a cruise next weekend. How long will it take for these medications to kick in and start working?

#

With the details you provided I suggest you consult an otolaryngologist at the earliest as the inner ear (vestibular system) is concerned with hearing as well as maintenance of balance.

Ear fullness, fluctuating hearing loss, tinnitus and episodic vertigo are characteristics of Meniere's disease, which is otherwise known as endolymphaticus hydrops.

• We must investigate the same further using a high resolution CT scan of temporal bone and also audiometry. Some other investigations that would help us are roll-over tests.
  • Considering you are going for a tour it is advisable that you get an exact diagnosis, so that we can be assured of no untoward incident during your leisure trip.
  • I would still suggest you avoid salt and take one of the tablets I suggested above. I also suggest Acetazolamide as it decreases fluid production inside the inner ear.

|