Q. How to get rid of inner ear fluid?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Published on Sep 13, 2016

I was told by my primary care physician that I have some fluid in my inner ear. I have also had dizziness, nausea and feeling like the room is spinning. I also think that I have vertigo, but I am not sure. The episodes happen at night and sometimes during the day. My current medication includes Lisinopril, Gabapentin and Mecklezine. Is there something that I could do to get rid of this feel?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Do your symptoms increase on changing position? Do you have fullness in the ear, ringing sensation in ear or reduced hearing?

There can be two possible diagnoses in your case, but I need to know if you have any of the above symptoms.

Either it can be benign paroxysmal positional vertigo or Meniere's disease.

I would advise you to take complete bed rest for about three days (minimum) and restrict salt.

I suggest any one of the following tablets for a week. Betahistine, Cinnarizine or Prochlorperazine maleate. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

I believe that I have positional vertigo. It happens when I move in certain positions and I sometimes experience ringing in my ear. Most of the time, it is always plugged and it will not pop clear and I can hear. There is some pressure and a little bit of pain. Also, I am not throwing up, but I do feel nauseous when the episodes happen. The episodes are small and do not last long. It happens sometimes during the day, but mostly at night. Also, I need to get rid of this soon as I am going on a cruise next weekend. How long will it take for these medications to kick in and start working?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

With the details you provided I suggest you consult an otolaryngologist at the earliest as the inner ear (vestibular system) is concerned with hearing as well as maintenance of balance.

Ear fullness, fluctuating hearing loss, tinnitus and episodic vertigo are characteristics of Meniere's disease, which is otherwise known as endolymphaticus hydrops.

• We must investigate the same further using a high resolution CT scan of temporal bone and also audiometry. Some other investigations that would help us are roll-over tests.
  • Considering you are going for a tour it is advisable that you get an exact diagnosis, so that we can be assured of no untoward incident during your leisure trip.
  • I would still suggest you avoid salt and take one of the tablets I suggested above. I also suggest Acetazolamide as it decreases fluid production inside the inner ear.

| 

I have spinning of my head with nausea and vomiting. What could this be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28-year-old female. Yesterday morning, I woke up to the alarm and when I got up, my head spun in a way which I have never experienced. I fell on the bed and when I tried to get up, it spun again. My husband made me drink water and helped me in getting up. I felt tired and when ...  Read Full »

Why does my sacrum not stay in place?

Query: Hello doctor, I have to pop my sacrum every day for my hips to feel good. I do this by putting a pillow in between my legs and squeezing my glutes as hard as I can. My question is why does the sacrum not stay in place? What can I do to make it stay in place?  Read Full »

Why am I having dizziness and blackout with swollen throat?

Query: Hello doctor, For a couple of days now I have been ill and the symptoms are getting worse. First, it started off with a swollen throat (which I still have but is not as bad) which gives me a phlegm cough but has reduced. I constantly have dizziness and blackouts with pulsating sensations not only g...  Read Full »