Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. How can I bring back RFT and LFT levels to normal after a viral fever?

Answered by
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 24, 2018

Hello doctor.

I am 67 years old man. I had viral fever last week for which I took antibiotic (7-day course). I then had cramps in the abdomen and gastric problem. I also had disturbed sleep. On consulting my family doctor, he advised for complete body checkup and full abdomen ultrasound. All the reports were normal except for RFT and LFT wherein some of the values are exceeding the standard limits.

Please advise if medication for the same is required or this can be brought to normal range with some change in diet and lifestyle routine.

My height is 174 cm and weight is 75 kg. I am a non-smoker and non-drinker and walk for 3 to 4 km every day, except for last 15 to 20 days when it was very foggy.

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome back to

I have checked the attached reports thoroughly (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

All the results are acceptable except the creatinine (which reflect the function of the kidney to clean up the blood) is slightly elevated. I recommend drinking plenty of fluids as dehydration affect the kidney negatively. No medication is required regarding this aspect. Just to be fully reassured, do you have any bony or back pain recently?

Regarding the abdominal cramps you experienced after taking the antibiotic course, it is caused by bacterial (Clostridium difficile) overgrowth in the intestine (antibiotics kill the normal bacterial flora allowing the abnormal difficle to grow).

I recommend a five-day course of Flagyl (Metronidazole) 500 mg tablet twice daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medications with their consent. Have you noticed any blood in stools recently?

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Is it fine to take Metronidazole and Tergynan during pregnancy?
My creatinine is 3.05 mg/dL. How bad is it?
Creatinine level 2.7 with controlled BP. Kindly advise the food to be taken.

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can we use Tramadol and Acetaminophen for viral fever?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother, who is 27 years old, is having viral fever and the temperature was 103 degrees Fahrenheit since yesterday night. He has been complaining of slight fever for the past five days. We had blood tests and the urine test done yesterday and both were normal. We are using the followi...  Read Full »

How much time will it take for liver abscess to get cured with Metronidazole?

Query: Hello doctor, I got reported as liver abscess and the size is 70 x 60 mm. The doctor's treatment is Metronidazole. How much time will it take to cure?  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.