Q. How can I bring back RFT and LFT levels to normal after a viral fever?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Hello doctor.

I am 67 years old man. I had viral fever last week for which I took antibiotic (7-day course). I then had cramps in the abdomen and gastric problem. I also had disturbed sleep. On consulting my family doctor, he advised for complete body checkup and full abdomen ultrasound. All the reports were normal except for RFT and LFT wherein some of the values are exceeding the standard limits.

Please advise if medication for the same is required or this can be brought to normal range with some change in diet and lifestyle routine.

My height is 174 cm and weight is 75 kg. I am a non-smoker and non-drinker and walk for 3 to 4 km every day, except for last 15 to 20 days when it was very foggy.

#

I have checked the attached reports thoroughly (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

All the results are acceptable except the creatinine (which reflect the function of the kidney to clean up the blood) is slightly elevated. I recommend drinking plenty of fluids as dehydration affect the kidney negatively. No medication is required regarding this aspect. Just to be fully reassured, do you have any bony or back pain recently?

Regarding the abdominal cramps you experienced after taking the antibiotic course, it is caused by bacterial (Clostridium difficile) overgrowth in the intestine (antibiotics kill the normal bacterial flora allowing the abnormal difficle to grow).

I recommend a five-day course of Flagyl (Metronidazole) 500 mg tablet twice daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medications with their consent. Have you noticed any blood in stools recently?

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|