Q. Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for next two months. Also, I had serum TSH and the result indicates that I have serum TSH 11.8, but after three months TSH came to 0.02. So, the doctor suspected overdose and reduced it to 100 mcg. But, I thought 100 mcg is also too much to me. So, I am taking 50 mcg for the last three to four days. Please suggest me.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

• Well, your symptoms are not related to thyroid issue.
  • You could be having a viral infection. So, I suggest you to take tablet Zerodol P (combination of Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) three times a day. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with their consent.
  • If you notice high fever, then you need to get the following tests done:
  1. CBC (complete blood test).
  2. IgM Typhidot.
  3. Dengue profiles and smear for malaria.
  • Coming to your thyroid dose I will suggest you to restart taking 100 mcg. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and get the dosage altered accordingly.
  • Repeat TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) after six weeks and revert back with the test reports.

Revert back with the test reports to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|