Q. For which infection is Zovirax suggested?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 25, 2019

Two years back, I had fever and headache. From then I am having gait and muscle pains. After many tests, doctor suggested EBV test. Results are IgG positive and IgM came negative and then gave Zovirax 800. I am shocked as it is a tablet for HIV. Does my EBV report say that I have HIV? Or do I have any such life threatening disease? Is it contagious? Should I avoid kissing and avoid sex for my entire life? Will EBV virus go away or remain in body forever?

#

• Zovirax (Acyclovir) is actually a medicine for viral infection and your physician is on right lines. Do not worry about that.
  • Not many benefits are seen with Zovirax in infectious mononucleosis (IM) caused by Epstein-Barr virus- EBV, but this is good if indicated.
  • Yes, close contacts and kissing should be avoided. Sometimes, the virus may remain for lifelong in host body.
  • Reports do not mean that you have HIV. It is altogether a different disease.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|