Q. I took I-pill after unprotected sex on the 7th day of my periods. Any chance of getting pregnant?

Dr. Sujata Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had unprotected sex on the seventh day of my periods, and I have five days bleeding. I took an I-pill on the 58th hour. I had bleeding on the seventh day after taking the pill. But, I am 10 days late for my periods, from the last month's date. I am worried. Please help. Is there any chance of pregnancy?

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Sexual contact on the seventh day of periods will not make you pregnant, as they are the safe period. You should not have taken I-pill. I-pills are meant for emergency contraception and not for routine use.

These are hormonal medicines and can disturb and disrupt your cycles, and can cause abnormal bleeding. I think that is why your periods are late. But still, you can get beta hCG done to rule out pregnancy.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Thank you for replying. If the delay in periods are due to hormonal changes, then how much delay can it cause? Will it be 15 or 20 days or a month? Is it fine to wait?

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The delay is unpredictable. If you are stressed, then get beta hCG done to rule out pregnancy. Excessive stress too can delay the periods. Calm and soothe your nerves.

|