Q. I took I-pill after unprotected sex on the 7th day of my periods. Any chance of getting pregnant?

Dr. Sujata Mittal
Published on Aug 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had unprotected sex on the seventh day of my periods, and I have five days bleeding. I took an I-pill on the 58th hour. I had bleeding on the seventh day after taking the pill. But, I am 10 days late for my periods, from the last month's date. I am worried. Please help. Is there any chance of pregnancy?

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Sexual contact on the seventh day of periods will not make you pregnant, as they are the safe period. You should not have taken I-pill. I-pills are meant for emergency contraception and not for routine use.

These are hormonal medicines and can disturb and disrupt your cycles, and can cause abnormal bleeding. I think that is why your periods are late. But still, you can get beta hCG done to rule out pregnancy.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for replying. If the delay in periods are due to hormonal changes, then how much delay can it cause? Will it be 15 or 20 days or a month? Is it fine to wait?

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The delay is unpredictable. If you are stressed, then get beta hCG done to rule out pregnancy. Excessive stress too can delay the periods. Calm and soothe your nerves.

Should I take an emergency pill if my partner used a condom?

Query: Hello doctor, I had sex yesterday afternoon. It was on the 14th day of my menstrual cycle. It was a protected sex. My partner used a condom and ejaculated inside it. Now, I am confused whether to take an emergency contraceptive pill or not. I personally do not want to take one because I am worried...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Condoms have a failure rate of 15 percent and can cause pregnancy. However, we do not always recommend emergency contraception if you have used a condom. If you have used it correctly and felt that there was no condom breakage or leakage from them, there is no need to ...  Read Full

Should I take an emergency pill if I only had foreplay?

Query: Hello doctor, I had foreplay with my partner yesterday. We both were having some fun. He actually inserted a finger into my vagina though not deep. He was not sure if he had touched his precum or not. Also, his penis touched my vagina two to three times though he never inserted. Should I take an I-p...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. It is highly unlikely that the insertion of the finger can result in pregnancy even if it was contaminated with precum because precum does not contain sperm. So, I do not think you need to take an emergency contraceptive pill. For more inform...  Read Full

Is it advisable to go for copper-T for hormonal imbalance and menstrual disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, My sister was experiencing irregular periods and sometimes bleeding was heavy during the menstrual period. We consulted a gynecologist. She suggested taking pelvis scan where they observed that endometrium line became thick. They informed that it was due to hormonal imbalance. Later w...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think the doctor has advised copper-T. I think she would have advised intrauterine hormonal device called LNG (Levonorgestrel) which contains hormone progesterone. It will regularise the cycles and control heavy flow and need not take oral medicines. It is up ...  Read Full