Q. I took I-pill after unprotected sex on the 7th day of my periods. Any chance of getting pregnant?

Dr. Sujata Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had unprotected sex on the seventh day of my periods, and I have five days bleeding. I took an I-pill on the 58th hour. I had bleeding on the seventh day after taking the pill. But, I am 10 days late for my periods, from the last month's date. I am worried. Please help. Is there any chance of pregnancy?

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Sexual contact on the seventh day of periods will not make you pregnant, as they are the safe period. You should not have taken I-pill. I-pills are meant for emergency contraception and not for routine use.

These are hormonal medicines and can disturb and disrupt your cycles, and can cause abnormal bleeding. I think that is why your periods are late. But still, you can get beta hCG done to rule out pregnancy.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Thank you for replying. If the delay in periods are due to hormonal changes, then how much delay can it cause? Will it be 15 or 20 days or a month? Is it fine to wait?

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The delay is unpredictable. If you are stressed, then get beta hCG done to rule out pregnancy. Excessive stress too can delay the periods. Calm and soothe your nerves.

| 

Should I take an emergency pill if my partner used a condom?

Query: Hello doctor, I had sex yesterday afternoon. It was on the 14th day of my menstrual cycle. It was a protected sex. My partner used a condom and ejaculated inside it. Now, I am confused whether to take an emergency contraceptive pill or not. I personally do not want to take one because I am worried...  Read Full »

Should I take an emergency pill if I only had foreplay?

Query: Hello doctor, I had foreplay with my partner yesterday. We both were having some fun. He actually inserted a finger into my vagina though not deep. He was not sure if he had touched his precum or not. Also, his penis touched my vagina two to three times though he never inserted. Should I take an I-p...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to go for copper-T for hormonal imbalance and menstrual disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, My sister was experiencing irregular periods and sometimes bleeding was heavy during the menstrual period. We consulted a gynecologist. She suggested taking pelvis scan where they observed that endometrium line became thick. They informed that it was due to hormonal imbalance. Later w...  Read Full »