Q. Should I worry about low platelet count with fever if dengue test is negative?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Published on Nov 18, 2018

My son is five years old, and he was suffering from fever, headache and body pain. He also had some rashes on his face and in some parts of the hands and legs. His fever was ranging from 101 to 102.5 degrees. After a couple of days, on medication, his temperature became normal between 97.5 to 99.5, degrees and he is fresh now. His platelet count went down to 160000 from 280000 in two days.

His lymphocyte count is high, and neutrophils counts are low. He did not have stools for the past two days, but he passed out stools three times in normal consistency and one time with a loose stool this morning. He is feeling fresh now. We have done NS1 test for Dengue before two days, and it came out negative. Does he require any particular attention to control platelet count or is it normal? Please suggest.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

The report suggests some form of viral infection (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have ruled out dengue. He has platelets of 160000 platelets per microliter of blood, and it is in a normal range. There is no medicine available to increase platelet count. I advise you repeat CBC (complete blood count) after two to three days to see the platelet count. I am pretty sure that the platelet count will get increased.

| 

The count was 280000 platelets per microliter of blood before yesterday and WBC were 7800 WBC per microliter of blood. Now, both are down. But my son is fresh and taking diet usually. His temperature is going down after taking Paracetamol, and it rises again after a gap of six to eight hours. Earlier, it was shooting back within two to three hours of the dose.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

This happens in viral infection. But hopefully, in two to three days, the counts will become better than the current reports (although the current reports are healthy). Please give Paracetamol only when the temperature is above 100 degrees.

| 

His condition got better. But his reports got bad when compared to the past. I am worried.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

This report is also normal, though the counts are decreased. So, you do not worry.

| 

After passing stools this morning, he became more fresh and active.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

It is fine.

| 

I appreciate your time doctor.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

It is my pleasure to help you.

| 

Now, I feel relaxed after seeing the reports to be normal.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

There is no problem.

| 

His blood platelets got increased. But there is a slight fall in WBC and neutrophils. Lymphocytes were little high too. Is this normal? My kid is quite fresh as usual and taking his regular diet.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

The reports are fine, and there is nothing to worry.

| 

Paracetamol tablets for tooth pain

Query: Hello Doctor, Can I take two Amoxicillin 500 tablets for my first dose of medicines for a tooth infection? Is there anything at home that will take the pain away?  Read Full »

Dengue Fever: Common Questions Answered

Article Overview: Dengue fever is a self-limiting mosquito-borne viral illness which has taken a huge toll on the public health around the world with over 390 million infections per year. So, there is a need to create awareness and break the myths associated with it. Various rumors and false treatment claims are frequently being shared on the social media sites, which do more harm than good. Read Article

Dr. Pratyush Kumar

1. What is dengue fever? It is a mosquito-borne viral illness which belongs to flavivirus genus. It is usually a self-limiting disease which may manifest as asymptomatic (without any symptoms) to severe dengue. 2. Can dengue fever recur? Dengue fever has got four serotypes DEN 1, DEN 2, DEN 3, an...  Read Article

If I had six Paracetamol tablets and seven of Mefenamic acid, how bad can it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old. What if I have six tablets of 500 mg Paracetamol (Crocin advance) and seven tablets of 500 mg Mefenamic acid (Ponstan forte) at one go (within five minutes)? How bad will it be? What will the side effects be?  Read Full »