Q. Please suggest further action after reviewing my wife's blood report.

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2020

This is for my wife. She is 36 years old. Her height is 5'4" and weight is 65 kg. Recently, we had a blood test and the attachments here are the results of the same. We are worried with the absolute lymphocytes count and percentage as well as the other highlighted numbers in the report. She keeps complaining of a slight pain in the stomach though not frequently. We are afraid of any cyst and we checked for it last year, but found nothing abnormal. I request you to review these numbers and suggest a further course of action.

#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• She has vitamin D on the lower side. Apart from some ups and downs in the hemogram report, all the other reports are appearing to be within normal limits.
  • Rise in the lymphocyte count is known as lymphocytosis (4000 cells per microliter) and your wife's count is 3460 cells per microliter. This is usually seen in temporary conditions like viral fevers, infectious diseases and may be an indication of the chronic hidden illness or autoimmune disorders.
  • It is only the chronic or persistent rise in the lymphocyte count that needs further evaluation.
  • One positive point I would like to share is the absence of atypical or abnormal cells in her hemogram. In that way, lymphoproliferative diseases can be kept aside.
  • Does she have any lymph nodes or increased fatigue or weight loss? Is there any abdominal lump?
  • Does she complain of photosensitivity or joint pains or recurrent fevers?
  • I would advise you to not panic and go for the repeat test after four weeks.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

We have not checked for any lymph nodes yet. Do you suggest any test for the same? There is no complaint regarding fatigue, weight loss, joint pain and recurrent fever. I am not sure about her abdominal lump and photosensitivity. As of now, she is not on any Vitamin D treatment. Four years back, she did go through vitamin D and B12 treatment.

#

It is good to see the answers to all the question as no.

• As I have advised you before, do not panic. Just repeat complete hemogram after four weeks. By then, lymphocyte count will be normal.
  • For vitamin D deficiency, dietary supplementation with dairy products, cheese, fish, yoghurt and sunlight exposure between 10 AM to 3 PM just to attain reddish skin shade will help.
  • Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and hence, complete restriction of oily food may also lead to its deficiency. The goal is to raise it to above 30 ng/mL.
  • You may try dietary measures and if it is not corrected in 8 weeks, then you may try the below medication with the consent of your treating doctor.
  • Tablet Vit D2 Drisdol 50,000 IU once a week for 8 weeks, followed by maintenance dose of 800 IU a day and food supplements. Very important is to recheck vitamin D levels after 8 weeks of initial supplementation.
  • Also, I suggest tablet Calcium carbonate twice daily.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|