Q. Should I take B12 supplement for folic acid deficiency?

I took a blood test and found out that there is a folic acid deficiency. What is the standard dose taken for the folic acid deficiency? Should I have to take a B12 supplement along with it? If so, what is the dosage?

#

For folic acid deficiency, you can take a dose of 5 mg per day for three months. For vitamin B12 deficiency, you can take Mecobalamine 500 mcg once a day for three months. Did you test for vitamin D deficiency?

Yes, I got tested, and I was given vitamin D 20000 IU tablets. I have finished taking it. I have numbness, tingling in hands with short-term memory problems, and irritable mood. So again I took a blood test and found a folic acid deficiency. Could this be the reason for my problems? My B12 was fine. I also read that taking 5 mg folic acid can reduce vitamin B12 present in the body. Is this true? And if so, do I have to take a B12 supplement? What is the dose?

#

Yes, these symptoms can happen due to folic acid deficiency with an associated vitamin B12 deficiency. I recommend you take Folic acid 5 mg along with Methylcobalamine 500 mcg once a day for three months. The symptoms that you have mentioned can be due to vitamin deficiencies as well as due to anxiety. Check your thyroid levels also.

|