Q. After examining,the doctor told VH in my left eye and gave injection Lucentis. What is VH?

Dr. Anand
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 08, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 16, 2019

About forty days back, all of a sudden vision of left eye got blocked. After examining, the doctor told VH in my left eye and gave injection Lucentis. What is VH? After 30 days he again examined and told that blood in left eye has totally cleared. He also said that retina has to be arranged properly and for that surgery is required. Central vision is not clear, please advice.

#

VH is Vitreous Hemorrhage. Vitreous hemorrhage is common only in long-standing diabetes, which leads to proliferative diabetic retinopathy.If this happens, intravitreous Lucentis (Ranibizumab) is advisable. Another one is intravitreous Avastin (Bevacizumab), this costs almost one fourth of injection Lucentis, please ask your doctor for this.

Remember that both these help only in preventing complications. They will not clear the blood. Blood clearance occurs over a period of months. But even after clearing, it may cause traction of the retina (not in all cases) and hence has to be operated and cleared and silicone oil has to be implanted in the eye. These are high risk surgeries and vision after surgery is guarded.

Important part is to always keep diabetes and hypertension under control.

|