Q. Recurrent swelling in voice box prevents me from singing. Please help.

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

I had voice box swelling before two months. I had taken medicines for around 10 days, it subsided and my voice was getting better. But at the beginning of this month, it started again. I could not visit any doctor due to the lockdown. I tried to rest my voice and did continuous steaming. But it is impossible to not talk because I have a day job that involves talking to clients. I am unable to sing now. I do not know up to what extent my voice is damaged?

#

First and foremost, acute inflammation of the vocal cords what we call acute laryngitis requires proper precautionary measures for a certain amount of time with proper treatment failing of which the problems will recur again after a short span of relief.

My advice to you would be to give an absolute voice rest for the next 10 to 14 days. Now absolute voice rest means you should not even be saying yes/no during the day. If your work involves the use of your voice I advise you to take complete off from your job for the next 10 to 14 days. The vocal cords require time to heal completely and this takes usually 10 to 14 days. Your voice might return to normal in five to six days, however, there is always a hidden inflammation in your vocal cords which can resurface if measures are not followed adequately.

Treatment:

1. If you are having gastric issues, consider taking tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once a day for 15 days.

2. Tablet Wysolone (Prednisolone) 20 mg once a day after breakfast for two days followed by 10 mg for two days and finally followed by 5 mg for the next two days. This is a steroid tablet and is effective in reducing inflammation in the vocal cords, but the above preventive measures should be taken if you want your voice back.

|