Q. What causes change in voice after oversinging?

Answered by
Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 02, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have been having voice trouble since last seven months. I oversang one night, and for about three months after that, it was extremely fatiguing to speak. I had an ENT look at my cords with the mirror right at the beginning, and he said there was minor irritation, but no nodules. The timbre of my voice did not change, no raspiness. No voice teacher or speech-language pathologist had any idea why it was not getting better. Gradually, after about 12 weeks, things went back to about 90 % of normal. Recently, I was at a party and started noticing my voice feeling swollen as I was talking (not that loudly). It has been four days, and my voice still hurts. It feels swollen, and sometimes there is a little mucus on the cords. Again, talking is extremely uncomfortable, with minimal to no change in timbre. I can still sweep the range smoothly. It just hurts. Any idea what is going on? Could I have permanently damaged something? I would like to get a videostroboscopy, but I do not know where to go for it.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

1. The conclusions from your problems can be a vocal cyst which is not seen through a head mirror, so you can get an endoscopy done after which if not conclusive can go for videostroboscopy which is the ultimate tool.

2. You told you were using Levothyroxine. Are you hypothyroid, proven and on medication? Thyroid problems can show effect on your vocal cords.

3. Are you allergic to dust and pollen? Do you have symptoms like sneezing, watering of eyes and watery discharge of nose?

4. Prilosec is a drug to prevent the vocal cords from the damage of acid being produced from our body, which is a good drug to use.

5. There are few medications like oral steroids which are not OTC drugs, hence can be prescribed only by doctors in your place.

6. I need to get your immunity checked which includes vitamin D , thyroid profile and a blood eosinophil count. Hope we can permanently cure your problem with the above history and investigations.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Please suggest treatment for dysphonia.

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with dysphonia about a month ago. I have had a couple of speech therapy sessions but progress is glacial. I am still hoarse and in pain. I have been on 40 mg of Omeprazole for a month and Gaviscon Double Action for two weeks. I feel like the back of my throat is still ...  Read Full »

What can be done for horseness of voice which is lasting for more than a month?

Query: Hello doctor, I have problem in one cord and it is for about a month now. I was given Defcort and antibiotic for a week. Persisting for little over a month now.  Read Full »

2.8 years old cried hard and developed hoarse voice. Is that due to crying or infection?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter who is 2.8 years old cried hard before two weeks and developed a hoarse voice the next day. It subsided in about three days. Before a week, I remember her throwing tantrums and crying hard for every small thing and again developed a hoarse voice. I gave warm water and honey...  Read Full »

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.