Q. What causes change in voice after oversinging?

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda
Published on Nov 02, 2019

I have been having voice trouble since last seven months. I oversang one night, and for about three months after that, it was extremely fatiguing to speak. I had an ENT look at my cords with the mirror right at the beginning, and he said there was minor irritation, but no nodules. The timbre of my voice did not change, no raspiness. No voice teacher or speech-language pathologist had any idea why it was not getting better. Gradually, after about 12 weeks, things went back to about 90 % of normal. Recently, I was at a party and started noticing my voice feeling swollen as I was talking (not that loudly). It has been four days, and my voice still hurts. It feels swollen, and sometimes there is a little mucus on the cords. Again, talking is extremely uncomfortable, with minimal to no change in timbre. I can still sweep the range smoothly. It just hurts. Any idea what is going on? Could I have permanently damaged something? I would like to get a videostroboscopy, but I do not know where to go for it.

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

1. The conclusions from your problems can be a vocal cyst which is not seen through a head mirror, so you can get an endoscopy done after which if not conclusive can go for videostroboscopy which is the ultimate tool.

2. You told you were using Levothyroxine. Are you hypothyroid, proven and on medication? Thyroid problems can show effect on your vocal cords.

3. Are you allergic to dust and pollen? Do you have symptoms like sneezing, watering of eyes and watery discharge of nose?

4. Prilosec is a drug to prevent the vocal cords from the damage of acid being produced from our body, which is a good drug to use.

5. There are few medications like oral steroids which are not OTC drugs, hence can be prescribed only by doctors in your place.

6. I need to get your immunity checked which includes vitamin D , thyroid profile and a blood eosinophil count. Hope we can permanently cure your problem with the above history and investigations.

Please suggest treatment for dysphonia.

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with dysphonia about a month ago. I have had a couple of speech therapy sessions but progress is glacial. I am still hoarse and in pain. I have been on 40 mg of Omeprazole for a month and Gaviscon Double Action for two weeks. I feel like the back of my throat is still ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Muscle tension dysphonia takes time to get cured. A few sessions of speech therapy are not going to rid you of the problem. Muscle tension dysphonia occurs due to various reasons and can be present after laryngitis or pneumonia as in your case. As an ENT surgeon, I w...  Read Full

What can be done for horseness of voice which is lasting for more than a month?

Query: Hello doctor, I have problem in one cord and it is for about a month now. I was given Defcort and antibiotic for a week. Persisting for little over a month now.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since how long you have been having this problem? As per the picture, it has been there on only one cord. If it is early stages, conservative management can be tried. Did your doctor tell you about it? One month duration is a bit less to decide on surgery I feel. You s...  Read Full

2.8 years old cried hard and developed hoarse voice. Is that due to crying or infection?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter who is 2.8 years old cried hard before two weeks and developed a hoarse voice the next day. It subsided in about three days. Before a week, I remember her throwing tantrums and crying hard for every small thing and again developed a hoarse voice. I gave warm water and honey...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vishal Parmar
Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Relax do not worry. She does not have laryngeal cancer (vocal cord cancer), it is a vocal cord abuse. It is due to screaming she is having hoarseness of voice, so it is temporary. Give her warm water and if she can gargle then let her do it with salt water gargle. Ba...  Read Full