Q. Why did I throw up blood after drinking too much alcohol?

Published on Sep 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 06, 2019

I am a 20 year old male. About three days ago, I vomited bright red blood after consuming excessive alcohol. This is the first time I have consumed more than one beer and I was also unconscious. I have not been having any pains or any other symptoms. After the first vomit of blood, I puked normally (no blood). Also, I was told my nose was red.

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

I went through your post.

• At this age, bleeding with vomiting is likely due to an injury to the lower esophagus because of the force of the vomit.
  • If the bleeding was severe, then an upper GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy is necessary for two reasons.
  1. Alcohol drinking can cause a liver disease if you have been taking it for a long time, which results in esophageal varices and results in bleeding.
  2. To rule out a major injury to the esophagus.
  • If it was mild, then taking PPI (proton pump inhibitors) for few weeks will settle the issue. However, you need to avoid alcohol in the future. 

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

How to get someone to stop taking alcohol forever?

Query: Hello doctor,My husband takes too much alcohol daily. I want him to stop alcohol forever. About one week before, we have done a health checkup. His SGPT level has increased by 108. What should I do now?  Read Full »

I feel bloated and breathless. Is this normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having stomach problems for the past three days and I have been trying everything and not seem to work. Today I tried Zantac 150 and I feel really bloated and feel like I am out of breath. Is this normal? Please help.  Read Full »

Though I am on treatment for stomach pain, the pain persists. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had severe back pain and stomach pain two days ago. I visited my family physician, and he prescribed me Omcar 40 mg along with other medicines. He advised me to take Omcar 40 mg in the empty stomach daily morning, but I took it after lunch and dinner by mistake. Since last 3 hours, I a...  Read Full »