Q. Why did I throw up blood after drinking too much alcohol?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 30, 2021

I am a 20 year old male. About three days ago, I vomited bright red blood after consuming excessive alcohol. This is the first time I have consumed more than one beer and I was also unconscious. I have not been having any pains or any other symptoms. After the first vomit of blood, I puked normally (no blood). Also, I was told my nose was red.

#

I went through your post.

• At this age, bleeding with vomiting is likely due to an injury to the lower esophagus because of the force of the vomit.
  • If the bleeding was severe, then an upper GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy is necessary for two reasons.
  1. Alcohol drinking can cause a liver disease if you have been taking it for a long time, which results in esophageal varices and results in bleeding.
  2. To rule out a major injury to the esophagus.
  • If it was mild, then taking PPI (proton pump inhibitors) for few weeks will settle the issue. However, you need to avoid alcohol in the future. 

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|