Q. My vomit was red colored after having red wine. Is it something serious?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 13, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I am 26 years old female. The day before yesterday night I drank alcohol for the first time. I had whiskey and my last drink was one glass of red wine. After coming back around half an hour later I felt sick and I puked. Now my worry is my vomit was red colored like there were not red specks of blood. The whole vomit was red colored. Now I do not know if it was the red wine coloring it red or it was blood. It was a lot of vomit but I did not feel dizzy or anything after puking. I slept and I was absolutely fine the next day. One of my doctor friends asked me to keep a check on stool color the next day just to be safe and I did and it was normal yellow color. I wanted your opinion as to what to do next. I am otherwise healthy with no other complaint.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

The red vomit is likely due to red wine only. Alcohol causes gastritis and vomiting, and you likely vomited red wine out. I guess you did not have abdominal pain. The bloody vomitus is brown in color rather than red. Was the color of vomitus matching with wine, if yes it further suggests it is wine. Also, stool will turn blackish, foul smelling if it was blood. So continue to observe the stool for another 2 to 3 days. Overall, does not look like a matter of worry.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

| 

No abdominal pain or any kind of discomfort. Just nausea followed by vomiting and nausea was relieved completely after vomiting.

#

So, it is unlikely to be blood. It is likely a wine only. Bleeding would have caused lot many symptoms and complications.

| 

I observed my stool for two days and it was mostly yellow only. Last evening the stool was mostly yellow with the small dark area but not tarry black. I am taking iron supplements from last two days so it could have been that also? Other than that I am absolutely fine with no pain or discomfort. I also forgot to mention that the night of vomiting I ate red chips with a red dusting on it. I am just worried if it could be GI malignancy.

#

It does not appear to be a matter of worry. It is unlikely to be bleeding. Iron supplements can cause it. The possibility of malignancy is unlikely in this age group, anyway if you are worried too much, you may get a stool for occult blood testing for the presence of blood in the stool. You have to stop iron supplements for a week then give some sample in any good laboratory, and ask stool for occult blood. Also, your symptoms are not consistent with malignancy.

|