Q. Why do I have severe itching and vaginal discharge?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I have Depo Provera every three months for three years for severe menstrual pain. It works wonders. But currently, there is a very terrible itching in my vulvar area. I used a mirror to look down there, and the area is very red, with quite of blood and with some sticky stuff in the inner folds of the labia. Which I am certain is not vaginal discharge. Most concerning is the lump I have down there. It has been there for years. Sometimes it has a lot of pus in it. Then sort of remain dormant (as in it does not cause itching).

But right now, I have very frequent urination, if I am lucky, six to nine times during my sleep. I stop wearing pajama pants to sleep cause it causes severe discomfort down there. I have tried a lot of treatments for it, like antibiotics, creams. Nothing works, and it is getting even more severe. Kindly give your opinion.

#

The presence of vulvovaginal itching and increased frequency of urine indicate that you have a vaginal fungal infection causing vaginitis along with urinary tract infection, which can cause lower abdominal pain, fever, pain in the lower back, etc. The presence of pus-filled boils or lumps over the vulval area are possibly due to folliculitis secondary to the frictional lesion. Hence you are unable to wear pajama pants as the inflamed vulvovaginal area hurts.

The prime cause of vulvovaginitis is improper genital hygiene. So to maintain it,

1) Avoid using chemical soaps or fragranced soap, or shower gels to wash your hula or vagina. Use only plain water or alkaline vaginal wash.

2) Avoid using public toilets.

3) Use tissues each time to wipe yourself dry. Keep the genital area dry as much as possible. You may use antifungal dusting powder after urinating every time.

4) Avoid wearing moist or wet undergarments for long.

Presently you need to be placed on antifungals and antibiotics for seven days, and you should use an alkaline vaginal wash to clean both internally and externally over the genital area. Plain water douche can be used once or twice to remove the threaded clumps of sticky fungal discharge. Also, increase your daily water intake to three to four liters a day to avoid urinary infections.

You may get a high vaginal swab culture and a urine routine microscopy test to confirm the diagnosis. Avoid intercourse if you have been sexually active.

I hope this was helpful.

|