Q. Why did my father develop slurred speech two days back?

Answered by
Dr. Hitesh Kumar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 29, 2017

Hi doctor,

My 70 year old father has developed slurred speech from two days. He has diabetes, benign prostate hypertrophy, and history of vascular dementia. He does not have weakness, paralysis, or numbness. He does not have hypertension or any cardiac disease. He refused to do a CT scan in the ER. His blood test including coagulation profile and troponin were normal. His HbA1C is 6.8, and the ECG was normal. Yesterday, the doctor started him on Aspirin 81 mg and Atorvastatin 40 mg. He is on Risperidone 1 mg more than 10 years without an obvious diagnosis. The psychiatrist started him on this medicine because of an acute psychotic disorder. An MRI was done last year, and I will upload the report. What should we do about the slurred speech?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • I would suggest undergoing the following tests:
  1. MRI of the brain or NCCT (non-contrast computed tomography) of the head.
  2. CPK (creatinine phosphokinase).
  3. Serum sodium.
  • The possible differential diagnoses are:
  1. Acute stroke.
  2. Neuroleptic malignant syndrome.
  3. Worsening of psychosis and acute delirium.
  • The previous MRI with past clinical history (attachment removed to protect patient identity), are suggestive of dementia. If the patient is not cooperative, then NCCT head must be done to rule out any bleeding inside the brain.

Revert with more information to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

We took my father to an ER again today to get a CT scan. He did the CT scan, and an internal medicine physician saw the CT film. He said there is no stroke and no hemorrhage. I have uploaded the results of the blood test for your opinion.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

The attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are not clear. You need to upload them again.

  • As you mention that there is no hemorrhage or bleeding in the CT scan, then tablet Aspirin and other medicines can be continued. But a normal CT scan does not rule out ischemic stroke. As small ischemic stroke can be missed in a CT, it will require an MRI of the brain to pick it.

For further queries consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Was this answer helpful?


Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Does Nicotine gums increase blood sugar levels in a diabetic?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a diabetic. Does chewing nicotine gum will increase sugar level? Does stress in the heart increase the sugar level?  Read Full »

Can Right-Sided Facial Numbness Be Due To A Stroke On The Left Side Of The Brain?

Query: Hello doctor, If the stroke has occurred in the left side of the brain, we know the patient's right side of the body would be weak and numb. But when the patient's right side of the face is also numb, is this also because of the stroke on the left side of the brain?     Read Full »

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Neurologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.