Q. My 6 year old daughter has two skin tag like bumps on her skin. What could it be?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 12, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 16, 2018

My 6 year old daughter has two skin tag like bumps on her skin near the underwear line. She has had them for several months now and not getting bigger in size. It has been of the same size since it appeared. She does not have any pain or itching. She does not complain about them. But, I noticed another small one starting to appear. I think it is high time I should get her treated for this problem. Please help.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology
#

I read through your child's problem. This may be due to molluscum contagiosum, if central umbilication (a depression similar to that of navel present at the center of any lesion) is present in each lesion and a white body is present inside the bump or these might be warts (if soft, pinkish, irregular, fleshy and without any umbilication).

Both these conditions are viral infections. Both of them can spread and form new lesions. In both the conditions, new lesions keep appearing.

These lesions can be removed by different options like cauterization and cryotherapy. Warts can also be treated with topical lotion like Podowart (Podophyllum resin, Benzoin, and Aloes solution) under the supervision of the doctor.

Molluscum can be treated by enucleating the white body from inside.

Consult a dermatologist online for further follow up and treatment --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Molluscum Contagiosum

Article Overview: Molluscum contagiosum is a contagious viral infection, which results in raised nodules on the skin. Learn about its clinical presentation, diagnosis, and treatment. Read Article

Molluscum contagiosum in adults, a sexually transmitted disease (STD), is described as asymptomatic pimples over the genitalia by most of the patients. It is basically caused by Molluscum contagiosum virus, a DNA virus of the poxvirus family. It spreads by close contact commonly with the children, t...  Read Article

Besides liquid nitrogen freezing, what treatment can I get for molluscum?

Query: Hi doctor, I have recently been diagnosed with Molluscum contagiosum in the genital region and was sprayed with liquid nitrogen at the dermatologist's office to treat it. I first noticed the spots a few weeks before my visit to the dermatologist. I have been with my current girlfriend for about five...  Read Full »

I have some eruptions on the skin of my pubic area. What could they be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having these hard clusters of bumps show up in the pubic region. The bumps are not razor burn. They are not filled with fluid. They can be cut off, but I want to get to the source to remove them. They do not itch, nor do they hurt. Any help would be appreciated.  Read Full »