Q. How to make my son active and more energetic?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 17, 2020

My son is 15 years old. He has an allergy problem and once had an episode of severe congestion. He was hospitalized and given inhalation nebulizer. Now, he is on inhaler Aerocort. He feels tired, panting on playing and often tends to sit while playing. He feels very hot on his ears, limbs and face. He has nosebleeds, acid reflux and complaints some problem with swallowing coconut. He is underweight. His height is 5'4". His sleep is not good and he wakes up on slight disturbance. He does not feel refreshed in the morning. He is not happy, fresh and energetic for his age. Please guide me.

#

I would like to know the symptoms in much more detail.

• How is his diet and appetite? Does he fall ill frequently? What is his weight?
  • Is he on nebulization frequently? How is his academic performance? Is he stressed out?
  • I would suggest a few blood tests to know his hemoglobin status and immunoglobin levels to know his immunization status.
  • With the above said details, kindly get back to me, so that I can guide you further. If possible, do send some of his photos to me. I would like to have a look at him.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

He is always in a mood to lie down and keeps engaged in television, laptop and mobile. He has energy crisis, irritable, on edge and most of the time has to brace himself even for simple chores. His face looks ill and he always have phlegm in throat and feels some obstruction. He gets viral infection frequently and was hospitalized for viral infection three years back. He looks like he is carrying some infection, which is making him lethargic. His appetite is low and goes only for chilled shakes, etc. In food, he looks for taste and spice. Though we allow only home made food (though spicy), but sometimes he goes for burgers. He falls ill frequently, but these days there is no acute problem. His growth not satisfactory. Though lately shown some spurt in growth that is height only in 18 months. He looks very slim and sick. He is very intelligent and has willpower. Because of his will power, he avoids complaining to keep matters under wraps to avoid giving us trouble. He has weak backbone, so cannot sit too long. He is getting pain in neck, head and legs. His weight is 40 kg and height is 5'4". He is under performer in studies, though mentally very capable. But, he is a genius in maths. In sports, he lags behind due to stamina issue. Lastly, he got nebulized six months ago on Aerocort inhaler. He does not use to stress himself often. We are also getting worried about this. Thank you doctor.

#

• After going through your description, I feel that you are overthinking about him. Generally, a few children are of this kind, very dull and introvert types. We cannot blame it on any infection or abnormality.
  • He looks fine as per the photo you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). He is not underweight as per the age.
  • He is more interested in television, mobiles and junk food. This is the root cause of all problems.
  • Let him participate in outdoor activities and sports. Let him develop stamina slowly and this cannot happen in one or two days. It may take time. Be patient enough and let him spend time with friends rather than sitting at home and watching television.
  • Keep him away from household stress, Give him a peaceful environment to grow up.
  • If at all you are worried about is health and want to rule out any infection or abnormality I would suggest you to do a simple blood test CBC (complete blood test) and his immunoglobulin levels. Do get back to me when you get the reports. I still feel you should wait and watch.

Revert back with the reports to a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|