Q. I cannot remember anything that I study. Is it a psychiatric problem?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2021

I am a male, who is studying medicine. From childhood, I was an average student. I got good marks in the 10th standard, but in the 11th and 12th standard, I got very bad marks. I do not know what happened, although I study for a long time. Still, I am not getting good marks. I got admission in a medical college, and my parents had to spend a lot for my admission. So, I thought to work hard and score good marks, but again the same thing is happening. I study full day, but I cannot remember anything. Even if I remember what I study, I am not able to recall it during exams. I get tensed when my teacher or friends tell me to explain some topic. Although I study it well, I cannot explain what I read, and I make many mistakes when I explain. Sometimes, when my teacher asks me any question, I get tensed and go blank. I cannot even answer basic questions. I failed in all internal exams, and only a month is left for my final exams. I doubt that I have a physiatric problem or this course is not fit for me. But, I want to be a doctor, but my condition is bad. I do not know what to do. I feel that I have a poor IQ. These things happen only in studies. My personal life is super cool. Due to this problem, I am slowly losing interest in my studies. Can you please help me?

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• From the available description, the possibility of a major psychiatric disorder appears limited, but there is clear indication stress having a significant impact on your student life. It is a well-known fact that increased stress reduces your performance, and it is possible that same is taking place for you.
  • Also, I feel you should get following tests from a nearby laboratory:
  1. Serum vitamin D3.
  2. Serum vitamin B12.
  • Once this is done, report back to me for a consultation. During this time, I will make sure that there is no major psychiatric illness. During the interaction, if we found one that we can discuss the mode of treatment for same.
  • I must assure you that there is no problem with your IQ or intelligence. Getting good marks and getting admission in a medical college proves about yourself.

I hope this helps you. Thanks and regards.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|