I am not able to remember whatever I study. Can I have a psychiatric problem?

Q. I cannot remember anything that I study. Is it a psychiatric problem?

Answered by
Dr. Ashok Kumar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 24, 2023

Hi doctor,

I am a male, who is studying medicine. From childhood, I was an average student. I got good marks in the 10th standard, but in the 11th and 12th standard, I got very bad marks. I do not know what happened, although I study for a long time. Still, I am not getting good marks. I got admission in a medical college, and my parents had to spend a lot for my admission. So, I thought to work hard and score good marks, but again the same thing is happened. I study full day, but I cannot remember anything. Even if I remember what I study, I am not able to recall it during exams. I get tensed when my teacher or friends tell me to explain some topic. Although I study it well, I cannot explain what I read, and I make many mistakes when I explain. Sometimes, when my teacher asks me any question, I get tensed and go blank. I cannot even answer basic questions. I failed in all internal exams, and only a month is left for my final exams. I doubt that I have a Physiatric problem or this course is not fit for me. But, I want to be a doctor, but my condition is bad. I do not know what to do. I feel that I have a poor IQ. These things happen only in studies. My personal life is super cool. Due to this problem, I am slowly losing interest in my studies. Can you please help me?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I read your query and understand your concerns. From the available description, the possibility of a major psychiatric disorder appears limited, but there is clear indication stress having a significant impact on your student life. It is a well-known fact that increased stress reduces your performance, and it is possible that same is taking place for you. Also, I feel you should get following tests from a nearby laboratory: Serum vitamin D3, serum vitamin B12. Once this is done, report back to me for a consultation. During this time, I will make sure that there is no major psychiatric illness. During the interaction, if we found one that we can discuss the mode of treatment for same. I must assure you that there is no problem with your IQ or intelligence. Getting good marks and getting admission in a medical college proves about yourself. I hope this helps you. Thanks and regards.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What should I do to reduce high vitamin B12 level?

Hello doctor, I have been taking Vitamin B medication for over one year and my Vitamin B12 level is very high, greater than 2000 ... Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble   Read full

Stress causes stiffness in my neck and back. What can be done about it?

.. symptoms, it seems like fibromyalgia with anxiety. Whenever we are anxious, our autonomic nervous system plays a role, and hence increases the blood flow to various organs by pumping more blood at higher rates, and thus heartbeats can be f   Read full

Why is there a skin discoloration in my back?

I also experience depression and anxiety and an odd lack of pain in most of my body ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.