Q. Why does my 8-month-old baby not accept solid foods?

Dr. Syed Muneeb Mohammad

My 8-month-old baby does not accept any solids or liquids other than breastmilk. The baby gets irritated if I offer anything else. How can I start giving solid food? I need guidance on weaning. Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. As you have asked for weaning advice. I would like to tell you that eight months is late to start weaning. The earlier we do it, the easy is for the transition. I suggest you do the following,

1) Start giving different foods as the taste buds are forming.

2) Avoid distractions during eating.

3) Screen for iron deficiency.

Gradually the baby will accept. Do not overstress yourself, but consistency is the key. I suggest you not stop giving solids because the baby is not taking them. Instead, continue the exposure to different solids.

I hope you understand.

CBC (complete blood count) with PBF (peripheral blood film).

|