Q. Being hypothyroid, I have gained more weight. Why?

Dr. Divakara P
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Sep 16, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2019

Is this something I should worry about? I have been hypothyroid for 25 years and have recently gained about 25 lbs.

Thyroid ultrasound states, history of goiter. We have no previous examination available for comparison. Both thyroid lobes are diminished in size.

The right thyroid lobe measures 2.3 cm in length, 6.4 mm in depth and 9.4 mm in width.

The left thyroid lobe measures 3.2 cm in length, 6.5 mm in depth and 1 cm in width.

Each thyroid lobe is diffusely heterogeneous and without visible nodularity. No parenchymal calcifications are visible.

The impression is diffusely heterogeneous and small thyroid lobes. No evidence of dominant nodule on either side.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Your weight gain is due to hypothyroidism and probable physical Inactivity. I need to know what is your recent TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) level if it is not in a reasonable range, your medication dose needs to be adjusted. Also, do 30 minutes of aerobic exercise daily, avoid sweets, carbonated beverages, and nonveg food.

As of your scan report is concerned it is suggestive of atrophic thyroiditis where the thyroid gland shrinks and later becomes inactive. So you may require thyroid hormone supplement. But your scan finding is nothing to worry about. Any doubts or queries feel free to ask.

Can hypothyroidism be cured with only ayurvedic medicines?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know if my hypothyroidism can be cured without taking the synthetic hormones, through Ayurveda only. In the allopathic approach, the hormone needs to be taken for the rest of one's life and I am a bit scared of it. It is possible I may also be diabetic and will need to ...  Read Full »

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »

Are weight gain and excess sweating side effects of Escitalopram?

Query: Hello doctor, Are weight gain and increased sweating typical side effects of the medication Escitalopram (Lexapro, Cipralex)? I am asking because I gained about 6 lbs in three months and I sweat a lot but I must admit that I am a regular alcohol user. About 4 to 5 drinks on the week (evening only,...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now