iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDieticianweight lossI need to lose weight as I am obese with improper period flow. Please help.

I am obese and my period flow is not proper. How to reduce my weight?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Abeer

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Nithila. A

Published At June 3, 2019
Reviewed AtDecember 12, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am 17 years old, and my weight is 216 lbs. I am obese, and I need to lose weight. I feel lazy, sluggish, and sleepy all the time. I am on the second day of my period, and the flow is not proper. Kindly advice.

Answered by Dr. Abeer


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Your history prompts me to go through further questions. Do you have a regular menstrual cycle? Any hair growth on the face, arms which is unusual than before? Scanty periods can mean oligomenorrhea (the medical term for decreased blood flow). Weight gain, hair growth, and oligomenorrhea are typical symptoms of a condition called PCOD (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which happens in girls, and multiple cysts are present in ovaries, and this leads to these symptoms. Sugar level also gets high due to this. So I would suggest getting blood glucose level fasting done, and ultrasound abdominal to see ovaries as it is confirmed whether you have it or not as it leads to treatment strategy.

The Probable causes

Cysts in ovaries, and oily food consumption.

Investigations to be done

Blood glucose, abdominal ultrasound.

Probable diagnosis

Polycystic ovarian syndrome.

Treatment plan

After getting the reports.

Preventive measures

Avoid oily food.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Abeer
Dr. Abeer

General Practitioner

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy