Q. Is it possible to lose weight due to chewing cud?

Dr. J N Naidu
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 06, 2020

I do chew my cud. I mean after 5 minutes of eating, I vomit what I just ate severely until the food digests. But my main question is that what are the advantages and disadvantages of this? And also, can this make someone not to gain weight?

Dr. J N Naidu

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

It is very interesting question. Normally only animals who consume food in a hurry and contain rumen bring back the food and then chew slowly properly and swallow the chewed cud. Humans chew slowly and there is no rumen and chewing cud is very unusual and extremely rare. There are people who chew cud who are otherwise healthy.

This chewing cud may not be the cause for your low weight. Chewing cud is not resulting in loss of nutrients.There are no advantages of chewing cud. It is an unusual phenomenon in humans. Causes for low weight could be nutritional deficiencies or genetic causes.

Low body weight

1.Hemoglobin
2.CBC with peripheral smear
3.Serum creatinine
4.Serum albumin
5.Thyroid profile
3.complete urine examination

Low body weight

Low body weight

After analyzing investigations reports, treatment will be suggested

Nil

As soon as investigations reports are ready.

|