Q. Please help with my issues of weight loss, memory loss and body pain.

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 30, 2019

I am a 34 year old female. My issues are weight loss, memory loss and body pain. I had medication for depression before two years. My vitamin D3 level is 34. Currently I am taking Ashwagandhadi, Liv-on and Amlapitta.

#

• Vitamin D3 levels should be between 20 to 50 ng/mL. A level of 34 ng/mL vitamin D is normal and is ruling out vitamin D deficiency.
  • If the weight loss is of short duration, it may be due to thyroiditis or some acute infection.
  • If the weight loss is of longer duration, it may be due to no appetite, malabsorption or some chronic disease like tuberculosis and diabetes. I advise you to consult your physician.
  • You may need to have blood and urine tests for confirmation along with thyroid profile, blood sugar and chest x-ray.
  • Regarding memory loss there can be a variety of causes for memory problems like dementia, other amnestic syndromes, depression, anxiety and brain lesions. It is important that you have a proper assessment to determine the cause.
  • Vitamin B12 and Omega-3 fatty acid supplements may be helpful. Try to avoid stress.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Thank you for the reply. I have done whole body checkup. Everything was fine. No TB, hepatitis, HIV or thyroid was found. I do not have any other type of infection. I am losing weight for the past two years. Before it was 58 and now it is 47. Till surgery I did not eat much but now I only skip breakfast. Please advice.

#

• Glad to hear that all your tests are normal. You did not mention about the cause of surgery that you underwent.
  • If everything is within normal limits then these symptoms can be due to less calorie intake or psychological problems like anxiety and depression.
  • First of all I would suggest you to take a balanced diet and stop skipping breakfast. Try the following measures.
  • Choose high calorie foods like milk shakes, fruits like banana, pineapple, sapodilla, pear and dry fruits. Add more protein like peanut, soybean, pulses and meat in your diet.
  • Egg and milk are wholesome food. Take them daily. Warm milk before going to bed brings in a healthy and considerable weight gain. Start with smaller proportions initially and gradually increase the intake.
  • Meanwhile, I would suggest you to consult a psychiatrist to rule out any psychological disorder. More things will come up with face to face talk and things will be more clearer.
  • I would also suggest you to have an MRI of your brain to rule out any brain lesion if not already done.

|