Q. Please help with my issues of weight loss, memory loss and body pain.

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 18, 2021

I am a 34-year-old female. My issues are weight loss, memory loss, and body pain. I had medication for depression for two years. My vitamin D3 level is 34. Currently, I am taking Ashwagandhadi, Liv-on, and Amlapitta. I had taken medication for two years for depression.

#

Vitamin D3 levels should be between 20 to 50 ng/mL. A 34 ng/mL level of vitamin D is normal and is ruling out vitamin D deficiency. If the weight loss is of short duration, it may be due to thyroiditis or some acute infection. If the weight loss is of longer duration, it may be due to no appetite, malabsorption, or some chronic disease like tuberculosis and diabetes. I advise you to consult your physician. You may need to have blood and urine tests for confirmation, along with thyroid profile, blood sugar, and chest x-ray.

Regarding memory loss, there can be a variety of causes for memory problems like dementia, other amnestic syndromes, depression, anxiety, and brain lesions. It would help if you had a proper assessment to determine the cause. Vitamin B12 and Omega-3 fatty acid supplements may be helpful. Try to avoid stress.

Thank you for the reply. I have done whole body checkup. Everything was fine. No TB, hepatitis, HIV or thyroid was found. I do not have any other type of infection. I am losing weight for the past two years. Before it was 58 and now it is 47. Till surgery I did not eat much but now I only skip breakfast. Please advice.

#

• Glad to hear that all your tests are normal. You did not mention about the cause of surgery that you underwent.
  • If everything is within normal limits then these symptoms can be due to less calorie intake or psychological problems like anxiety and depression.
  • First of all I would suggest you to take a balanced diet and stop skipping breakfast. Try the following measures.
  • Choose high calorie foods like milk shakes, fruits like banana, pineapple, sapodilla, pear and dry fruits. Add more protein like peanut, soybean, pulses and meat in your diet.
  • Egg and milk are wholesome food. Take them daily. Warm milk before going to bed brings in a healthy and considerable weight gain. Start with smaller proportions initially and gradually increase the intake.
  • Meanwhile, I would suggest you to consult a psychiatrist to rule out any psychological disorder. More things will come up with face to face talk and things will be more clearer.
  • I would also suggest you to have an MRI of your brain to rule out any brain lesion if not already done.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|