Q. My mom takes Albuterol steroid inhaler for wheezing. Can it be taken for a long time?

Dr. Prathish Kumar

My mom is 85 and has a problem with wheezing from minor to severe. She has been on a steroid Albuterol nebulizer three times a day for almost a year. I am very concerned with the prolonged use of this steroid. Can you offer any insights or safer options regarding controlling her wheezing? And also the treatments do not really stop the wheezing.

She is currently on Lexapro.

#

I understand your concern for your mother. Elderly asthmatic usually requires steroid inhalers, nebulizer to reduce the progression of the disease. But the most important side effect is an infection of the buccal cavity mainly fungal. But it can be used safely provided your mom rinses her mouth regularly after each time she has used the inhaler, nebulizer to clear the steroid medication deposited in the buccal cavity.

And as you have mentioned, Albuterol is not a steroid. So, please recheck if there is any additional medication as a combination with that. If you are very much concerned you can try non-steroidal inhalers and nebulizers and continue if she is comfortable with that. Also, she has to do respiratory exercises to keep up her lungs good.

Tiotropium bromide inhaler with transpacer two puffs in the morning and night. Levosalbutamol + Tiotropium bromide respules for nebulization
spirometry exercise.

|