Q. What is the test and medication available for wheezing in a 5-year-old?

Dr. Vivek Chail
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Oct 02, 2019

My 5-year-old daughter often gets cold, cough, and end up with a fever and slight wheezing. No history of wheezing in the family. What test and medication have to be done for wheezing?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

Your child may be tending to develop asthma and allergy. When investigating the child with wheezing, it is better to get her clinically examined by the pediatrician or a pediatric pulmonologist. The tests required include a chest x-ray and complete blood count in most cases. Medication is to be given after confirming the condition and might include bronchodilators, inhaled steroids, anti-allergic preparations, and nebulization when needed. Please keep the child away from dust pollution and allergic plants.

Allergy and asthma.

Chest x-ray, complete blood count.

Eosinophilia.

Asthma.

Bronchodilators, inhaled steroids, anti-allergic preparations, and nebulization

Protect from dust and pollution.

Are cold with chest pain and fatigue symptoms of pneumonia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I have a cold with chest pain, fatigue and difficulty breathing for three days up till now, without physically consulting a doctor. I have had pneumonia last year and I am afraid that I might get again as I am starting to show some symptoms of pneumonia. Sh...  Read Full »

Is Common Cold a Disease or an Allergy?

Article Overview: Is common cold a disease or an allergy? This article is regarding what common cold actually is and how you can relate and differentiate it from allergy. It also includes treatment modalities different from allergy. Read Article

Dr. Ruchika Singh
Allergy Specialist

What Is Common Cold? The common cold is a subtype of rhinitis (irritation or inflammation of nasal mucous membrane or nose) categorized as infectious rhinitis. As the name suggests, it is an infection and not an allergic reaction. What Are the Causes of Common Cold? More than hundreds of viruses ...  Read Article

I am having cough and chest congestion for the last three days. Is this pneumonia?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having cough and chest congestion for the last three days. Also getting a mild fever again and again. I also have a chest X-ray done today only. Please suggest is it pneumonia and if yes how severe is it?  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now