Q. I have white spots on my face every summer since childhood. How to get rid of it?

Dr. Sreelakshmi S
Published on Jul 12, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 05, 2019

I am 19 and I have white spots on my face. Actually, I have this problem since childhood. The spots occur every year on my face, especially in summer. But this time it has been two months and they are still present in my face although I am applying sunscreen and keep my face moisturized. I have not ventured out in the sun for these two months. But, I really do not like it when everyone asks me what happened to my cheeks. Can you please tell me the way to get rid of it?

Dr. Sreelakshmi S

Dermatology Venereology
#

The white spots you describe can be due to various causes. It may be due to a fungal infection called tinea versicolor which usually occurs in the summertime, or it may be an allergic reaction to the sun.

I suggest using an antifungal cream like Clotrimazole 1 % cream twice daily. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

Follow up with a photo of the rash. Continue sunscreen.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Superficial Fungal Infections

Article Overview: Fungal infections of the skin and mucosal surfaces are very common. There are various types of fungi that affect different areas of the body causing distinct symptoms. Most mild to moderate cases can be treated with topical antifungals whereas severe cases require oral antifungal medications. Read Article

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Fungal infections of the skin are a very common occurrence in people of all ages, from babies to adults and the elderly, in healthy as well as immunocompromised individuals. There are various types of fungi and each causes distinct features, depending on the site of infection. Some common types of ...  Read Article

Have allergy problems. I always have runny nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and coughing and cannot breathe normally.

Query: Hello, I have been having allergy problems for many years. I cannot breathe from my nose even if it is not blocked because I feel like I get less oxygen from my nose. I also have asthma and as the seasons change my allergies react. I always have running nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaishali Mehta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I totally understand your concern regarding cure of allergies. Unfortunately, allergy of the nose cannot be totally cured, but definitely can be prevented. I would recommend the following:1. Get an allergy skin test done; so as to identify the allergen.  Avoiding the a...  Read Full

My allergy does not subside with 10 mg Cetirizine. Should I take 20 mg?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking 10 mg Singulair and 10 mg Cetirizine for five years for allergies, asthma, and Lyme. I just got two more kittens, and the medicines do not work anymore. I am miserable and desperate. I asked my doctor to give me 20 mg of Cetirizine and something else because I think ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please get an allergy testing done, either a skin prick or a blood comprehensive. Next, based on the allergens you are sensitive to, we can advise you on further course of action. With respect to getting tolerant to Cetirizine 10 mg, why not try Fexofenadine 120 or 180...  Read Full