Q. My child has white acne on face with reddishness on cheeks, forehead, and chest. Please help.

Dr. Hardika Kothari

My child is having white acne on the face surrounded by reddishness. It is on cheeks, forehead, slightly on the backside of the head, and mildly on the chest as well. My baby's age is 26 days. What do I do? I have consulted the doctor and he recommended Fusidic acid and Beclomethasone Dipropionate cream and Oxipod drops. I have applied on his face but not much difference.

#

Kindly send the picture of the face, back, and chest.

Is there any itching or fever? What is the duration of symptoms? Is the baby taking feed well? Are there similar complaints in other members of the family? I need all these information along with the picture to diagnose the condition and guide you better.

| 

There is either itching or fever. The duration of symptoms is around 12 to 15 days. Yes, the baby is taking feeding really well, he gets hiccups from time to time. And no there is no such problem in any of the family members.

#

It seems to be a variant of neonatal acne known as neonatal cephalic pustulosis. It may affect 20-30% of newborns mostly in the second to third week of life. It is benign and has a self-limiting course. These pustules and papules will resolve with therapy or on their own without sequelae

Treatment-

Apply topical Clindamycin gel twice daily for one week, Ketoconazole soap for bathing for one week.

Review after one week regarding continuation or alternative treatment depending upon the results.

|